1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone clarify my connection question?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by loofer, Dec 12, 2004.

1. loofer

loofer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi, i'm new to the surround sound thing and am trying to get my head around some of the connection issues, i was hoping to get some clarification here. Basically i'm trying to decide between an all in one system or a dedicated amp and speaker set up.

I have a tv with one RGB scart and one normal scart at the back with an s-video + L/R audio at the front.

I am connecting an x-box and a VHS recorder (to be replaced next year with DVD recorder) along with an amp/all-in-one sound system

I want to get the best picture quality i can so i wanted to use the RGB scart on the tv for my x-box so i had a couple of questions

1) If i plug my xbox into the rgb scart and play it through the tv with an amp plugged into the second scart am i right in thinking the xbox still has access to the surround sound? in other words does it have to be plugged into the amp to get the sound effect or is anything played through the tv fed into the amp anyway.

2) Would most 300 pound amps have multiple RGB scarts at the back? meaning i could simply plug my xbox and dvd recorder into the amp and plug the amp into my tv's rgb scart.

3) would an optical audio connection give superior sound to an rgb scart connection?

Any feedback is much appreciated, thanks.

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    1/ Unless its setup to do it you wont get anything from the second scart as they are usually in, not out (i think).
    2/ VERY FEW amps at all have any let alone multiple scarts on them.
    3/ Using an optical connection is the best and only way to get a digital feed into the av amp to get either true surround or use DPL2/x or DTS:NEO6.

So in summery use rgb scart to get pictures on your tv with the optical connected to the amp to get the sound.

When you get the dvd recorder plug the xbox into the extra scart on the dvd as you only have one rgb scart on your tv.

I hope this helps :lesson:

3. loofer

loofer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    That's great dfour cheers, i just need to clarify a couple of points, you're saying plug the xbox into the dvd player and the dvd player into the rgb scart? secondly how do you connect the tv to the amp to get sound on normal bradcast tv as opposed to dvd's and games.

Thanks for the feedback :)

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Does your tv have analogue out ports on the back of it/somewhere. That is the usual way otherwise you will have to look at the manual to see if the second scart can be used. If not then you will have to rely on a connection from the dvd to the tv either coax (digital) or analogue.
    I would recommend using a coaxial cable over an optical cable as they sound better because coax is less processed. Look in the cable poer buys forum for Mark Grants coax cable. Superb quality at :beer: money prices :D

5. loofer

loofer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    yes i just checked, it has analogue outs on the back and dvd and xbox will have digital outs so that should let me connect everything, cheers :)