Quantcast

Can someone answer this before I decide if to build a HTPC

pablo noir

Standard Member
Hi

I'm seriously looking into building a HTPC, for DVD, mp3 play back from a HDD source, but also want to be able to use the HTPC to video recorded video content from my Dreambox that is in my bedroom.

To make sure I can do this, I've been playing around with VLC, WMP, KMPlayer etc on my laptop.

KMPlayer seems to be a good player, but the problem I have is this.

When the Dreambox records a program, it splits the recording into 1GB parts. The first part has the file extension .ts and subsequent parts has .ts.001, .ts.002 etc.
Is there anything that will see these as a single program and play the file continuously.
I thought the seamless playback in KMplayer would do this, but it appears not to work like that.

Need to get this working before I shell out on the HTPC.

Thanks

oliphillips

Novice Member
I'm not familiar with the DM600, but I am pretty you choose the size of the file it records to and then when it reaches that size limit it starts to make the .001 etc files. So there should be an option to choose the filesize limit, so perhaps you could change it to a larger amount.

Otherwise I'm sure you could join the files easily enough. Search for a Video joiner on google, I think Imtoo and Xilisoft make software like this.

Also, you could set the files to play one after the other in a playlist, on most media players.

Good luck!

Oli

Last edited:

pablo noir

Standard Member
Thanks Oli

I can play the files myself, by setting a playlist etc, but if I'm going down the HTPC route, I'd need to convince the missus that she would be able to play Holby City etc at the touch of a button, like she can from the dreambox interface.

Looks like I'll have to keep searching.

:(

oliphillips

Novice Member
What about the file size limit option, could you not just choose a larger size, big enough to mean it would never split the files?

pablo noir

Standard Member
Looks like thats the way to go mate.

Set it to 16Gb.

See how it goes for a while, then start putting some cash away for the HTPC.

:)

Last edited:

tony_park

Hi,

have you taken a look at dvblink for dreambox? this can be used with a program such as dvbviewer, dvbdream and then in windows media center.

Tony

pablo noir

Standard Member
Tony
Does that let you view the files on a HTPC wile leaving the Dreambox alone, so that you can still watch TV on this at the same time?
I've used control players that allow you to control the Dreambox and stream to a PC, but what I want to do is just watch the recorded programmes, like you would if it was just a NAS drive.

Top Bottom