1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can somebody offer some advise on a replacement sub?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Symey, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Symey

Symey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys

not an expert so please bear with me on this - i have a denon 500 all in one sustem ehich im happy with - the only thing is im not 100% the sub is doing the business for me. it may be that my living room is rather empty at the moment after having just decorated and put my new system in but im a little woried...

my furniture etc is on the way, in the meantime i wondered if there is any sub you would recommend along the same type of styling/colour as the one that comes with the denon? like i say im not an expert on these so not sure whats compstibe and whats nor - would it be easy to integrate a new one? simply replace?

any help appreciated, just wanted some food for thought whilst i wait for the rest of my room to arrive!

Best regs

sy

2. Symey

Symey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    25 views and no reply? is there anybody who can help me out here?

regs

sy

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    What sort of price bracket have you got in mind?

I havn't heard the sub that you already own but something like this would almost certainly be a big step up if you still need a small cabinet size:
    http://www.bkelec.com/new/Special_Offers/sp10.htm

There's also a similar but slightly less powerful model:
    http://www.bkelec.com/new/Special_Offers/sp9.htm

It would also be worth considering the Velodyne's in the subwoofer Power Buy section and some of the MJ Acoustics range. :)

EDIT: I've just checked and it appears that the Denon sub in your package is a passive model. Is there definitely a dedicated subwoofer preout that you can use on your main unit?

4. Symey

Symey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply mate - forgive my ignorance but what do you mean by dedicated preout? art the mo there is a simple cable pair from the unit to my sub - standard sort of hifi cable - no plugs on the ends - clips in the pincer type thing to hold it in (christ i sound stupid!!) nothing fancy...

sorry i cant be of more help- anybody else help?

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Not to worry, your current sub is a passive model. That means that the sub itself doesn't contain it's own amplifier so is powered by the main unit.

Most subwoofers are active models. This means that they have their own amplifier built in so need a wall socket but only need a low power signal from the amplifier. This is where the preout comes in.

Having just checked, the main unit does have a subwoofer preout just for this purpose so you've got nothing to worry about. :)

6. Symey

Symey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so that means i have a choice of subs? i can quite happily look for an active sub? will it plug into the main dvd unit ok then? i'll still be using the black/red pincer things for the cables? actives are much better then passives i take it then - ill notice a difference with it amplifying the sound itself?

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    No, you'll want a subwoofer interconnect cable. Just do a forum search and you'll get loads of information.
    Actives are generally better than passives. In your case it definitely would be with a prudent choice of sub.
    :)

8. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    If you go for the XLS200 sub you will get the lead with that anyway.You never said what your buget was.

9. Symey

Symey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks guys - i may (at a push) go up to £300 but to be honest i would like to spend less! - no idea what i will get for that but would like to consider things - are any of the powerbuys approrpiate?

Thanks for the info so far

regs

sy

10. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
  11. Symey

Symey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that - all look interesting...whats peoples preference out of those ones? whats the best performer in you opinion? Are any of the current powerbuys a better option?/compatible?

thanks again for helping me out

regs

sy

12. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    The Velodyne Power Buys should certainly be added to that list.

The XLS200 is probably the best of the bunch but aside from that it depends what you want from the sub. The MS309 would be an excellent choice but is quite a bit bigger than you're used to. If you bought the Vita 50 I expect you'd be wondering about upgrading again fairly soon after.

I'm not famililar with the Wharfedale or Velodyne's so hopefully someone else can chime in.

In general though I don't really think you'd be disappointed with any of the subs mentioned. :)

13. Symey

Symey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that - think im down to the XLS200 or the CHT10

my room is L shaped but basically 17ft by 30ft - the sub will be positioned in front of the viewing area approx 15ft away..

what do you reckon will be the better performer in that setup? i want a nice rumble when watching a movie and decne tbass on my music wheni crank it up - i do however live in a terraced house - bu i dont like my neighbours!!

best regs

Sy

14. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    EvilJohn2 must have been asleep when i forgot to recommend the velodyne special offer :(

I think the xls200 is a superb sub but it might struggle to fill that sort of space with the bass you want. If you can accomodate ti as the price is hardly worth quibbling over buy the cht12:devil: The extra power and extension available from the 12 will be worth the size and money :smashin:

15. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Not asleep, on my way back from Kaz's. ;)

Otherwise Dfour is right but I don't think the CHT-12 is included in the Power Buy, only the CHT-10 and CHT-8. :)

16. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Sorry I meant to say I must have been asleep and again I think your right about the power buy. I really must pay more attention :rolleyes: :zonked:

17. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Nah, you've got a PB10 so don't need to pay attention to those of us with small subs. Or those of us with 2 small subs. :devil:

Simey, have you got any space restrictions or preferences for colour as that would help narrow the choice down? :)

18. Symey

Symey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys - the denon is a wood effect - but i dont mind getting silver as have other silver kit - no space restraicytions really but dont want something too in your face in you know what i mean...

you think the cht10 would struggle? whats my options then?

thanks for your input so far guys - a real help

19. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Sorry Symey ive been up for a long time today :zonked: I was a little confused. I would go for the CHt10 for the money. Especially as they only have 2 units left now :eek: Obviously the 12 would be better but it is nuch more money.

http://www.hometheatermag.com/subwoofers/177/

20. Symey

Symey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks a lot guys - have plumped for a velodyne cht10 - seems a good performer and a great price..

regs

sy

21. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

Just as reassurence, my parents have replaced their Acoustic Enargy 12" with a CHT10 and even my mum has commented on it's performance, It fills their room (6M X 8M).

22. Symey

Symey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just placed a telephone order with Hayes - thanks again Hayes - look forward to receiving

Regs

Sy