Can somebody explain what I should be looking for please ??

M

Mark H99

Hi,
I could really use some advice please.
I'm looking for a 42 inch plasma TV, I have around £2000 to spend and here's what i'm considering at the moment.

1) Initally I was looking at a 42 inch rear projector LCD from Sony but after demoing it I have decided against it.
2) I've looked at a Samsung plasma in Comet for £1800 approx, this would be nice except every review I've read says Samsungs are nothing special, so that kind of put me off.
3) I was turned to a Panasonic TH42PW7. This comes without a Tuner (I have Sky) and without speakers (I have a home theatre kit) and is in my price bracket, however my only concern is that on these forums people are saying it won't work with HDTV, now i'm not sure when HDTV is coming out in the uk or if the Panasonic will or will not work with HDTV, I understand the concept but not the specs. I don't want to buy a £2000 tv only for it to be out of date in a couple of years time.
4) The Nec VR5 is being recommended but I don't reaqlly know much about it as a make. and am unwilling to spen out on sopmething I know nothing about.
5) I've been offered a really nice Sony KE-42MR1 which is just slightly out of my budget, but appears to be a good deal and maybe worth paying the extra for ??

So I am kind of going round in circles, I'm still keen on the Panasonic but am worried by the whole HDTV thing, and if it's not the Panasonic should I pay the bit extra and go for the Sony?

Any advice on HDTV welcome, I will use my TV for sky, watching DVD's and playing Xbox, I am also keen to link it to my PC, either via DVI or the standard connection

Mark - Welcome - this isn't a flame, but try a forum search; this has been discussed many times before. :smashin:

I had all the same thoughts as you before xmas, i asked allsorts of questions got allsorts of answers and tide myself into a knot with techie stuff.

I am now the proud owner of a 42pw7 and love it to death, as for hdtv im happy with the PQ i get now and that wont change(ill still get the same PQ even when hd comes out), I think by the time hd is up and running and prices for it are reasonable and new screens are built for it we will be a few years down the road.

So i say live for today and not what may happen next year.

Markevo

Major Ingram said:
Mark - Welcome - this isn't a flame, but try a forum search; this has been discussed many times before. :smashin:

Funny you should say that
after I posted I saw the thread on the Nec. It's made me think that would be a good option.

Markevo, yeah I guess you're right. I'm veering more towards the NEC, but the Panni looks like a good option also. I just find myself reading the forums and then picking up half an idea about what might be the best option. the forum about whether the panni is or isn't HD ready is a bit confusing TBH, some people are saying it is and some are saying it isn't

I think it is but not at 50hz which is what sky say it will be useing, anything you need to know about hd i would pm horneydragon im sure he wouldnt mind answering a few questions.
he`s very good at explaining and very knowledgeable, but do search these things as many have been covered in other threads.

Remember people can only give you certain amounts of info, you must use your own eyes to decide which screen is best for you.

Markevo

The panasonic issue is the 720p/50hz signal on digital HDCP that sky have mentioned. The NEC can accept this, it's within your budget, and is a good screen with the best manufacturer warranty on the market. The sony, IMHO is a waste of money, no digital at all, no chance with HD, no how, no way, and offers less picture for more money than almost any other Japanese plasma on the market. Now I will get flamed for that!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom