Can some one please set me straight?

JCPrice

Standard Member
Hi everyone, I am John.

I am using a Sunfire Theater Grand-IV with a Sunfire Signature 7 400 in a 7 speaker system with no LFE.

I am using a HP Pavilion ZD8000 with Windows XP SP3. I have a 7 pin DIN/mini stereo to RCA connected from my laptop to my TG-IV. I have enabled dual screen and am playing movies downloaded from the web in AVI & MPEG format. The sound files are encoded in various formats which include AC3, AAC, MPEG Audio. I have installed K-lite codec pack along with Media Player Classic, VLC Player, and the KM player. For the record I like the Media Player Classic most as it gives the most user options in regards to sizing the video and processing the audio stream. For the record Media Player Classic uses FDDShow Video and Audio on most of the movie files I have.

Most of my files are in stereo format simply because of file size and download times. However I do have a number of files encoded in 5.1. I understand I can use a program like ConvertXtoDVD and rip stereo encodes to 5.1 format and play the movies in my Denon A1XV and solve my problem. However its much easier for me to just play the file from my PC as I have these movies stored on a number of external portable USB drives. Movies can be located quickly and easily and I do not have the hassle of searching through a pile of DVD's.

What brought me here is when I play movies encoded in 5.1 format I am totally dissatisfied with the output across the center channel. I have tried all the suggestions and work arounds that come with each player however the only way I can get even close to what I consider to be acceptable sound is to play the movie in stereo and use a setting on my preamp that feeds the signal to all speakers.

I want to know if there is a way to bypass the codecs installed on the PC and send the signal to my preamp for decoding? Is this even feasible? If not does anyone have any suggestions on how I can continue playing movies as I am and solve the problem I am having?

As this involves PC's I will post this in the computer section too.

I would appreciate you help.

Thanks,
John

jameson_uk

What brought me here is when I play movies encoded in 5.1 format I am totally dissatisfied with the output across the center channel. I have tried all the suggestions and work arounds that come with each player however the only way I can get even close to what I consider to be acceptable sound is to play the movie in stereo and use a setting on my preamp that feeds the signal to all speakers.
Depends on many things but basically... yes as long as you have an S/PDIF (optical or coax) output from PC and intput to amp and the source is encoded as AC3 or DTS.

wolvers

Distinguished Member
I guess it must be in AC3 or DTS already because if it was decoded to PCM you wouldn't get al six channels through SPDIF.

Are you getting DD or DTS light up on the amp? Maybe ffdshow isn't set up for passthrough.

JCPrice

Standard Member
This laptop has no SPDIF port. I am sending the audio signal to my preamp via the headphone jack using a mini RCA to standard R & L RCA connecting to the AUX port. The video signal is being sent from a 7 DIN to standard RCA connecting to the same AUX port.

If, in the control panel, I just disable the conexant AC-97 and tell it not to map through this device would the signal arriving at my preamp the undecoded AC-3 signal or AAC signal associated with the movie I am watching?

wolvers

Distinguished Member
You're only ever going to get 2-channels like that. L & R!

Are you sure that the headphone socket doesn't double as optical. Some do, what laptop is it?

If not, I suggest you get a USB sound card that will do DD/DTS over optical for you. I take it that processor can take optical.

Last edited:

JCPrice

Standard Member
I think the problem is mine. I doubt there is a bug in K-lite. After doing a lot of research and talking with a number of different people I have come to the conclusion the problem revolves around the sound connection from my laptop to my preamp. Since I have no SPDIF out on this PC I am forced to use a stereo mini RCA so the decoded signal being fed into my preamp is stereo not 5.1.

Since I can rip DVD's from 2 channel or 6 channel into 5.1 format using ConvertXtoDVD and things are excellent I will try some other steps to resolve my problem and if I cannot I will live with it as is until I upgrade my PC.

Thank you for the time you have devoted to help me address this issue.

Kind Regards,
John

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom