can Sky tell if a box has had the Hard disk upgraded

Frogfoot

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm thinking of upgrading the hard drive in my Amstrad HD box, however it is still under warrentee and am concerned that upgrading will invalidate this.

There doesn't seem to be a tamperproof sticker that I can see, but I may have missed it. In short, can a Sky engineer tell if the box has been opened if it needs to be returned later on, and the original disk is reinstalled.

(Assuming no stripped threads/missing screws during the upgrade.)
Cheers
Tom

if it ever needs replacing just put the old hdd back.the installer wont open it he'll just swap it over with another one

There doesn't seem to be a tamperproof sticker that I can see, but I may have missed it. In short, can a Sky engineer tell if the box has been opened if it needs to be returned later on, and the original disk is reinstalled.
Even if there is a tamperproof sticker (some makes have and others have not) no known Sky installer has ever actually opened a STB to check! If it goes wrong under warranty (or under the £65 replacement scheme later) a new/replacemnt STB will be installed. It is normally worth keeping the original HDD to return to the unit for this case.

Thanks guys, just as I suspected, however I thought I had better check first.

Cheers
Tom

But won't the original HDD have "old" Anytime programmes in one half which will give the game away?

Just a thought... :)

Hi, I'm thinking of upgrading the hard drive in my Amstrad HD box, however it is still under warrentee and am concerned that upgrading will invalidate this.

(Assuming no stripped threads/missing screws during the upgrade.)
Cheers
Tom

Don't worry about it - you have already invalidated the warranty (by skys definition) as you have opened the box.

An ex-colleague of mine works in Sky R&D.
He tells me that the onsite guy won't check these stickers and will simply swap the box over.
So all you've got to do is put the old HD back in should a problem occur.

My friend tells me he's had boxes back with smaller than supplied HD's, larger than supplied HD's and on one occasion no HD.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom