Can Sky Q run through an HDMI splitter/switcher?

uklloydi

Standard Member
My TV has 3 HDMI inputs. Into that I currently have:

• Sky Q
  • Apple TV
  • A Sony Soundbar

I also need to be able to connect a PS4 and a Wii. Previously I did this with an HDMI Switcher. How it used to be:

HDMI 1 - Output from HDMI Switcher:
  • PS4
  • Wii
  • YouView DVR
HDMI 2 - Apple TV
HDMI 3 - Soundbar

When Turning on PS4, the HDMI switcher automatically switched. But then we changed from YouView to Sky.

The Sky box REFUSES to work on this HDMI switcher. If I set up so that PS4, Wii and Sky all feed in to the switcher, it won’t work. I now have to unplug the cable from the Sky box and then physically reconnect to the PS4 and back each time.

I gather that this may be the result of DRM, that the Apple TV and Sky Q need to have direct connections. And of course, so does the soundbar.

Short of buying a new TV just to get more HDMI inputs, what are my options to allow this number of sources without having to physically unplug/plug in each time? I really only need a switcher box of some kind - it doesn't have to be automatic, am happy to physically switch sources as long as I know I have a unit that will work with the Sky Q and Apple TV sources (I have two HDMI switchers, one automatic, the other one that you switch manually, and neither work with these). Is there a spec/benchmark that I need to look for?

Thanks for any help that you can provide

Russ_64

Does your soundbar have any HDMI inputs? Most have at least one. If so, use that for Sky Q. If not, a soundbar that has one or two inputs will be cheaper than a new TV.

uklloydi

Standard Member
Does your soundbar have any HDMI inputs? Most have at least one. If so, use that for Sky Q. If not, a soundbar that has one or two inputs will be cheaper than a new TV.

There is just one HDMI connection on the soundbar, and that is connected to the TV, so nothing spare there, I'm afraid.

leasty

Standard Member
Can you connect your soundbar via optical? That would free off one port. Maybe not ideal but easier and cheaper than a new TV.

Phantom84

Make sure the settings are correct on audio visual menu on sky.

Try another brand of hdmi switche. I recommend neet on amazon.

Also personally iv always powered off sky box on the remote then press sky button to make it switch.

Can no longer check as I use an AVR now

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom