Can Sky Dish used for receiving Freeview

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by krishna12, May 8, 2005.

1. krishna12

krishna12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

I am planning to buy Panasonic TX23LXD50. This TV has in built Digital Tunner and can receive Freeview channels. I have a sky dish black oval's cable running into my bedroom, currently I am using this directly connecting (without sky digi box) to my old TV to receive the terrestrial channels and I am receving them without any problem. Question is, can I use the same cable to receive the freeview channels by this new TV?

Thanks in advance,
    Krishna

2. sdc395

sdc395
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you live relatively close to your transmitter? It sounds like the length of coax between the dish and your TV is sufficient to receive an adequate analogue signal. This may well be enough for digital reception too.

If you can borrow someone's Freeview box, I suggest you try it. :)

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,392
    A Sky disk can not be used to receive Freeview or even standard analogue TV, unless as suggested above you have poorly insulated coax cable that is picking up the TV signal. I very much doubt you would get Freeview this way as you need a cleaner, stronger signal. Freeview is received with a standard TV aerial, normally mounted on the roof but sometimes in the loft. If in a strong enough reception area you may get away with a set top aerial, but in most cases this will not be good enough.

Are you sure that the cable you have plugged into the TV is not connected to a TV aerial rather than a Sky dish?

Mark.