1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can Sky Digital improve my TV reception?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by electrolyte, Feb 3, 2002.

1. electrolyte

electrolyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    I currently have analogue TV via an ariel in my loft. The reception from this ariel is terrible, especially C4. I want to improve this so could pay for an engineer to come out an fix a better ariel on my roof. It would probably be cheaper to get Sky to install a digital dish instead and I would the get loads of extra channels...

My question is - has anyone else had a problem with bad reception and has that been solved by installing sky digital? I don't want to go to the expense of installing it and subscribing each month if my reception hasn't improved! I live in Thatcham in Berkshire....

Any help greatly appreciated...:confused:

2. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Satellite is a completely different system and has no relationship to your analogue reception. The signal is beamed from a satellite in 'space' to your dish and not from a transmitter mast to your aerial. You should be able to get perfect pictures on Sky Dig as long as there are no obvious obstructions in the signal path (trees, chimneys etc). Phone a Sky installer and get them to come and have a look before you order it. I have just had it installed and it was a painless experience. The other benefit of going to a smaller installer other than Sky themselves is that you can choose which box you have. The Panasonic is supposed to be the best but I went for the Sony as it matches my kit and is very slim.

S

3. JPC

JPC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem channel 5 was just about unwatchable..

I fitted a mast Head Amplifier at the aerial in the loft and I now get brilliant pictures..... and even the sound is better.

Go for Sky if you want more channels!

Regards JOHN P C

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Terrestrial reception where I live is very bad on BBC2 and C4 so before Shy Digital I had NTL Cable which was no improvement.

The NTL engineer who came out to look at it told me that reception was not as good when too many people were watching at the same time.

Presumably when too many people are cooking their dinner at the same time you only get half as much electricity.

I had Sky Digital installed as soon as it came out and have had no reception problems ever since.

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

LOL, that is priceless.
    You know he might have been serious, which could be even funnier:)

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Just a thought,
    What is DTT reception like in your area?
    A new antenna on an outside wall married to PACE's new FTA reciever (released march) might give you what you want without any form of subscription.
    Also you have to remember at present if you are recording a digital channel you can not watch another using the same digital receiver (except for SKY+).

7. electrolyte

electrolyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    Thanks for all the replys! I didn't think that anyone would reply so quickly, let alone 5 in less than 4 hours!

Anyway, think I will probably get it checked out by an independent Sky installer 1st.

Thanks again....

BTW excuse my ignorance but what is DTT? :blush:

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Terrestrial Digital, always been Ondigital/ITVdigitals world but the PACE reciever will change that.

9. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Digital Terestrial Television. You still have an aerial but the signal is digitally encoded to give interference free TV. Very good in theory but it's very patchy in terms of coverage so unless you have a good analogue signal you don't have a hope.

S

10. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Interference Free!" - You've got to be joking!!!!!

DaveP

11. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was explaining the theory, not the reality, as the next sentence clarifies.

S

12. electrolyte

electrolyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    Thanks for clarifying what DTT is - as my analogue signal is so weak I don't think it will help....

13. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    That is why mounting a new high gain antenna on an outside wall will be needed, it'll clear up your analogue reception as well:)

14. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, even with Skydig it's always worth having a good analogue reception. You may want your vid to record from it's tuner while you are watching the GOD channel for instance.

15. tbibic

tbibic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OR you could buy ITV Digital prepay £99. If your terrestrial is not good then there is every chance you won't get all the ITV Dig channels. Ask for the ariel upgrade which they do for a nominal £30.

At roughly £130 this would be cheap way to sort out your ariel, and get some digital TV for a year.

I have the same problem in my new home, but it has a digibox and dish and so I'm going to skydigital, for extra channels.

TREV

16. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it's unlikely they will resite the aerial to outside where it should be.