• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Can save history be transferred to gamertag?

nevC

Novice Member
Hope someone can help me out. After joining Xbox Live I found that when I tried to bring a game online I was prompted to join Xbox Live as I was logged in under my offline profile which is the one I have used for many months.
Prior to posting this query I searched this forum and it would seem that saves, achievements etc are locked to a profile rather than a machine. I should have used the same name as the offline profile, something not alluded to at all during the course of registering.
Can I alter anything to enable me to bring any unlocked levels, achievements etc online? Any help appreciated.
Nev

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
You should have upgraded the offline gamertag (would have been silver) to a Gold LIVE membership. Then you would have retained all your Achievements and game saves and also been able to play online. I take it you have created a new tag and added a sub to that ?

nevC

Novice Member
Thanks for the reply. I have created a new gamertag only. Would changing my Xbox Live gamertag, making it the same as my offline one cause my data to 'migrate' to the new gamertag.

LJx

Prominent Member
you cannot exchange stuff between tags but you could just use that offline tag and start using it on xbox live, even if it makes you change the name of it to something else because it is already taken. it will still be the same tag just renamed

Munkey Boy

Distinguished Member
Hope someone can help me out. After joining Xbox Live I found that when I tried to bring a game online I was prompted to join Xbox Live as I was logged in under my offline profile which is the one I have used for many months.
Prior to posting this query I searched this forum and it would seem that saves, achievements etc are locked to a profile rather than a machine. I should have used the same name as the offline profile, something not alluded to at all during the course of registering.
Can I alter anything to enable me to bring any unlocked levels, achievements etc online? Any help appreciated.
Nev
What you've done here is create a new profile altogether when creating your Live account, what you need to do is to upgrade your offline one with the history to Gold - that's the only way to keep the history while on Live Gold. Unfortunately, the name will clash with the new online one you created, so you would have to change the name, each Live username has to be unique.

There is no way to merge profile histories as far as I'm aware though, sorry.

p9ul

Distinguished Member
Getting your old offline account online is really the only viable option to you I'm afraid - otherwise you're looking at going down the gamesave & profile hacking route... (followed closely by the banhammer)

astar0th

Distinguished Member
I don't see you having a problem here?

Dispose of your new tag. Buy a gold subscription for your offline tag. You are then online with all your game saves and gamerscore. Job done!

nevC

Novice Member
Thanks for all the replies. I registered a Gold account with Xbox Live. I renamed my offline account and tried to change my online gamertag to that name but it was not allowed.
How can you dispose of a gamertag? I have only 1609 gamerscore. For any particular game how much of the Live experience, e.g unlocked vehicles, levels or tracks etc could be unavailable to this new profile or is it just gamerscores and achievements that are affected.
Upgrading my offline gamertag to Xbox Live Gold will incur another subscription fee which is galling given that, in the process of registering, no instruction to this effect was proffered.
Thanks again.

Munkey Boy

Distinguished Member
Thanks for all the replies. I registered a Gold account with Xbox Live. I renamed my offline account and tried to change my online gamertag to that name but it was not allowed.
How can you dispose of a gamertag? I have only 1609 gamerscore. For any particular game how much of the Live experience, e.g unlocked vehicles, levels or tracks etc could be unavailable to this new profile or is it just gamerscores and achievements that are affected.
Upgrading my offline gamertag to Xbox Live Gold will incur another subscription fee which is galling given that, in the process of registering, no instruction to this effect was proffered.
Thanks again.
Dispose of a gamertag? As in delete it from Live as though it never existed? I'm not sure you can, and if you could, the only way would be to contact Xbox on the phone, only they would have the powers to do that.

The creation of a new profile doesn't warn you that you can't merge profiles indeed, you're not the first one to have fallen into this trap. There are messages on your Xbox screen to guide you through upgrading your 'offline' profile to become an 'online' one though. It's probably easier to do it via your Xbox than at Xbox.com. (Oh, and you'll probably have to change the email details on the profile you want to get rid of, an email address can only be linked to one profile).

nevC

Novice Member
Thanks for all the help.
I have searched through many threads on this and other forums and it seems that any content unlocked through the process of playing a game under the 'offline' profile will be unavailable to this new gamertag e.g. if I wanted to play as an unlockable character in Soul Calibur or race on an unlockable track in Forza I would have to replay the games under this new identity in order to unlock the content again in order to engage in online play using this character or track.
I have not been able to verify this as I have not played on Xbox Live yet though it seems that most of the discussion around achievements concerns it's status as a ranking system. I am not so concerned about rankings but do not want to lose levels, tracks, characters etc.
Thanks again.

p9ul

Distinguished Member
Dispose of a gamertag? As in delete it from Live as though it never existed? I'm not sure you can, and if you could, the only way would be to contact Xbox on the phone, only they would have the powers to do that.

The creation of a new profile doesn't warn you that you can't merge profiles indeed, you're not the first one to have fallen into this trap. There are messages on your Xbox screen to guide you through upgrading your 'offline' profile to become an 'online' one though. It's probably easier to do it via your Xbox than at Xbox.com. (Oh, and you'll probably have to change the email details on the profile you want to get rid of, an email address can only be linked to one profile).

They can't do it either.

I had a similar problem when the 360 was launched, I had an old Live account from the original xbox that was barely used (only went online to get some PGR2 DLC) but was unable to recover it when the 360 launched. Ended up creating a new tag but asked MS about deleting the old the old to free the gamertag up - they said only the owner can do it, but I couldn't access it to delete it.

Pretty sure gamertags that have been online never get vaped, not even 0G tags...

However, in the relation to OP's original query there's no way you can combine 2 tags (meaning saves & achievements) without a bit of gamesaving and hacking...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom