Can red and white audio cables produce 5.1 surround sound?

wahabwajahat

Standard Member
Reaction score
Guyz i have a dz30 home system>the prob is i only have rca input in it.i connected my ps3 through it i get the sound from all 5 speakers,But i wanted to know m i gettin the 5.1 surround sound?i know i am not gettin the dd5.1,but m i gettin the 5.1 surround sound??and if not what sound m i gettin?and i am using pro logic2 settings from my system.

You are getting a pseudo surround sound generated by the amp.

It will not be the same as the original 5.1 sound track and you may find that sounds are often out of position but it will be putting something out of each speaker.

i am using pro logic2 setting which in the system manual says is very close to 5.1 while watching movies?is that true?and can u explain about pseudo sound?

and i also have 75 coaxial input in my sound system,is there any converter which fits into coax and inputs optical cable cuz i heard of it somewhere.is there any way of gettin digital sound with coaxial input?

Yes, you can get Optical to Coaxial converters, but they are not appropriate in your case (Sony DAV-DZ30), as that 75 Ohm input is for an FM aerial, it is not a digital coaxial audio input.

There's a good explanation of Dolby Pro Logic II on Dolby's site, or have a look at the Wikipedia entry.

so to sum up,does pro logic2 work good with RCA cables?And is the sound surround and close to dd 5.1?

Hello wahabwajahat

SKY is broadcasting some programme material with a discrete six channel (5.1) sound signal.

SKY will down mix the 5.1 signal to a 2.0 Stereo signal and output the signal on the Red and White RCA Output sockets.

Your AV System is creating a 5.1 sound field from the down mixed 2.0 signal using Dolby ProLogic II (DPL II).

On some systems there will be a very noticeable difference between listening to the 'as Broadcast' Discrete 5.1 signal via Optical/Coaxial and listening to a down mixed 2.0 signal being matrixed using DPL II.

Is it worth worrying about - no, not unless you plan to replace the Sony system.

Joe

If you post at 2:30 in the morning it is a bit quick to be bumping the post at 8am the same day.

Did you read the links you were given earlier in this thread?

Your amp is doing the best it can with a 2 channel feed, no it is not the same 5.1 that you'd hear via a digital route with all the accurate sound stage positioning the Director intended you to hear but yes it is producing sound from each speaker that will not sound too bad a lot of the time.

Last edited:
Hi Mark

Aren't you on AVForums 24/7 :)

Its pretty shoddy that free advice is not available around the clock - better have a word with the Boss!

Joe

Hi Mark

Aren't you on AVForums 24/7 :)

Its pretty shoddy that free advice is not available around the clock - better have a word with the Boss!

Joe

:) it does feel that way sometimes, especially when I'm not in the UK time zone from time to time which will make some of my posting times look distinctly strange.

thanx a lot guyz,i saw death race through ps3 with pro logic II and i am feelin quite comfortable with it as it is producing the right sound through the correct channels at the right time.I saw a dvdr on it too.The only diff i noticed is that the bass effect is more deep in dolby digital 5.1,i noticed dolby digital 5.1 is better as it has a deeper bass effect but pro logic 2 is not bad either.It also produces the sounds through the accurate speakers at the right time.And it was quite close to dd5.1.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm hopeing that by digging this up, someone will help me out...

I have a similar enquiry..... and after searching all over the forum, still can't figure it out

I currently have Sky+ (HD on order), I also have an old but reliable Sony DAV-SA30. I'm watching both of these on a Bravia KDL 40Z4500.

Watching DVDs does sound excellent through the AV unit, but I'm wondering if I'm getting the best sound possible from the Sky input.

I'm currently taking the sound via red/white cable from the rear of the TV and into the 'audio in' on the AV system.

When watching a film on Sky.. will I be getting the best sound using this set up? If so, will that still be the case when I change to HD?

Not many of the Sky channels output 5.1 audio, so for these the stereo leads are giving you the best you can get. But for the few Dolby 5.1 channels/programs you will be missing the best available sound. To get the full 5.1 you will need to connect an optical cable from Sky+/Sky+HD to the DAV system.

Mark.

:smashin: Thanks Mark,
It's an older AV system so doesn't have an optical input.. Are there optical to red/white leads out there.. ? I haven't had much success in confirming that either...

Another question then... is taking the sound from the TV output less effective than direct from the sky box? Or will I ultimately get teh same standard of signal?

:smashin: Thanks Mark,
It's an older AV system so doesn't have an optical input.. Are there optical to red/white leads out there.. ? I haven't had much success in confirming that either...
No you can't get true 5.1 surround sound via a stereo red & white input. The best you can therefore do with Sky is to send stereo to the DAV and use Dolby Pro Logic II to give you psudo surround sound.
Another question then... is taking the sound from the TV output less effective than direct from the sky box? Or will I ultimately get teh same standard of signal?
You could try direct from Sky rather than via the TV, but the chances are that it makes little or no difference to the quality of the sound.

Mark.

No you can't get true 5.1 surround sound via a stereo red & white input. The best you can therefore do with Sky is to send stereo to the DAV and use Dolby Pro Logic II to give you psudo surround sound.

You could try direct from Sky rather than via the TV, but the chances are that it makes little or no difference to the quality of the sound.

Mark.

Thanks again.... I'll try the direct link to be sure.

Unless you change to an amp with a digital input your stuck with what you have. But hey, its better than listening through your TV speakers isn't it?

Scorpion

Absolutely...!

So, will the TV speakers sound any better with the HD signal from sky HD?? Just wondering..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom