1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can recorder control Sky Digital box?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by wombatman, Nov 25, 2004.

1. wombatman

wombatman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After going through AV forums for several days and getting some very useful feedback, I have decided to take the plunge and go for a recorder myself, probably the Panny E95. Have to demo it to see how well it works, but pretty much convinced by the crowd :smashin: .

There is one thing which i am still unclear about, and that is whether DVD/HDD recorders can control the Sky Dig box i have. Say I go away for a week and have several programs I want to record, but which are on different Sky channels, would the recorder be able to do this? Or do I have to leave the Sky box on a particular channel and be stuck with that for the week? I know this is possible with terrestrial but not sure about encrypted digital transmissions.

Cheers

2. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The Skybox (I'm assuming not Sky+) doesn't have to be set on a particular channel just use the program planner and auto change.

3. linkster

linkster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I heard there was a scart gizmo that could send messages to the HDD and tell it when to record, according to the sky program planner. There was mention of it being on sale in Tesco or Argos, but I can't find it. Any tips?

4. wombatman

wombatman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply. Yes, i have Sky box, not Sky+. So does this mean the recorder can be set to record pretty much any channel on sky that I can access? How do i set up the connections/ cables to achieve this? Does this also mean i can use my DVD recorder remote to surf through Sky channels manually without having to use my Sky remote?

5. WarPig843

WarPig843

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I have the E85 model and yes, you can record any sky channel. Mine is set up as follows.

The scart lead from my sky box goes into the AV2 port on the E85, and then a scart lead goes out of the E85 to the TV. (I also have a third scart lead going directly from the sky box to the TV).

When programming the unit to do a timed recording from sky, select AV2 on the 'timed recording' menu. Then ensure that you have selected the programme on your sky box 'personal planner', so that the programme automaticly comes on.

Using the 'personal planner' means you dont have to leave the sky box on the same channel.

6. monocrider

monocrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From bitter experience, I would say the Sky personal planner is a poor way of making timer recordings - I've missed the start of various programmes because the planner only changes when the programme is scheduled to start, and not when it actually starts.

I've also had occaisions when it doesn't auto-change even though it was set to - just puts the "programme is about to start" message up, and stays on the current channel.

If you're interested in doing lots of Sky timer recording, give the Tosh XS32 a serious look - it has a IR transmitter that you can leave in front of your Sky box, and it will change channels when your timer recrding kicks in. Since I've been using it I've had zero failures, and the other advantage is you only have to set the timer on the DVD, not on the DVD and the Sky box as well.

Regards,
    John

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Yes I second that. The Toshiba will control your Sky box with a magic wand which is worth it's weight in gold IMHO. More units should have one!

8. wombatman

wombatman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How does the Tosh know exactly when the program starts?

9. WarPig843

WarPig843

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    To confuse you even more, when programming a recording onto the E85, you can instruct it to automaticly start recording as soon as the programme starts, as long as the programme being transmitted emits a particular signal.

10. monocrider

monocrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It doesn't, but at least you can set it to start early / finish late which you can't do with the personal planner.

Well, actually I suppose you can do that with the personal planner by telling it you want the programme before the one you actually want (which is what I ended up doing with Eurosport whose schedules tend to be somewhat fluid to say the least), but it's more hassle than just changing the start time on the recorder by whatever safety margin you want.

Also, just having to set the timer on one piece of equipment is a major advantage IMO.

11. wombatman

wombatman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After careful consideration, I am sold on the idea of the Tosh. Its IR control looks to be a major selling point, apart from all the other good things ppl have said about it in this forum. Cheers folks!

12. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    This might be a dumb question but...

I've read the XS32 manual, and it specifically talks about controlling satellite receivers (and lists codes for specific brands)... what about Freeview boxes? Can it control my Sony (VTX-D800U) Freeview box?

Mark

13. raydawson

raydawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Probably, but you need to know the 4 digit brand code to enter so that IR talks to the FV box. I asked Toshiba about my Fusion and Thomson boxes, but they said ask the manufacturer :(

Ray D

14. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Does anyone have any clues as to how to find out such codes? I have a Sony Freeview box (VTX-D800U). I've seen some old posts where someone said they got their Toshiba XS32 to work with their Sony Freeview box. The Toshiba manual only talks about Sat boxes, and the Sony Freeview box manual doesn't give any code either.

Mark