1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can record sound but not the picture

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by frodron, Jun 29, 2005.

1. frodron

frodron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anybody help?
    I have a Sony VTX-D800U Freeview set-top box linked to a Panasonic DMR-E55EB/EBL DVD Recorder and then to a Toshiba 2557DB Television set.
    All the units are linked as per manufacturers' instructions with two SCART leads per unit and the TV aerial leads.
    Whilst I can record terrestial TV without any problem, When I try to record from Freeview, I only record the sound, the picture does not record.
    Both Sony and Panasonic say it is due to a faulty SCART lead, so I have changed them without any success.
    As a further experiment I swopped the DVD Recorder for a VCR Recorder and got exactly the same result.
    The signal strength received by the set-top box is shown as 100% "good".
    As a matter of interest I met another person with the same problem who a is also looking for an answer.

2. kdp99

kdp99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Best quess is the stb and the DVD are not set to the same picture standard.

I'd set both to rgb and try it, then set both to comp and try it.

Most Panasonics have a loop through facility, with DVD rec off and STB on can you see picture from stb on TV, if yes and it goes black when the DVD rec is on, I'd say 99% incompatiable video type.

Good luck

Keith

3. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    First, I'd connect the VCR-out of the STB directly to the TV. If you don't get a picture I'd say the STB is faulty. The STB's VCR-out video standard is not user-selectable.

To elaborate on the picture standard situation...

The Sony STB has a peculiarity in its VCR-out. It will only deliver s-video to a 'compatible' Smartview device, otherwise it defaults to Composite (RGB is not available at all). Not even all Sony recorders with Smartview meet the spec required by the STB. So if you have set your recorder to s-video it is more than likely the STB has not accepted it as a suitable s-video machine, so is only sending composite.

(This makes it strange that you can't get a VCR to work either, as the STB would be sending Composite which all VCRs, except s-video machines, use).

Unfortunately you can't do anything about this with conventional wiring. You need to use the pass-through method, as follows:

STB TV-out scart > DVD recorder-in scart (usually L1)
    DVD recorder-out scart > TV scart
    (So you're only using two scarts, not three).

The drawbacks are:
    1. For timer recordings you have to leave the STB turned on all the time, not just in standby. This is because when it turns on from standby under timer control, the TV-out is not activated.
    2. You cannot use Ext Link to start recording from the STB timer on the Panasonic, because it is getting a signal (which triggers Ext Link) all the time from the STB. So you have to set both timers.

The advantage is that you can use RGB or s-video throughout. But make sure the STB TV-out, the recoder video-in and -out are all set to match (s-video or RGB) and use an appropriate scart on the TV.

This set up means that you are always watching digital on the TV through the Panny. When you record Analogue on the Panny, you may have to do something on teh remote or the set up to make the digital pass through continue during the analogue recording.

I've had a Grundig STB (composite only VCR-out), Pioneer DVD/HDD and Sony TV set up like this with RGB for almost a year and it's fine.

4. frodron

frodron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your advice. It set me thinking and I started to play around with the DVDR settings. Lo and behold, when I set the AV2 Input to "Video" I was able to record from Freeview. Thanks for your help

5. kdp99

kdp99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Glad its sorted.

If you use RGB (may have to use the stb TV scart not video scart), you should get much better quality.

Keith

6. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I have a VTX-D800U. Agree the picture will be better if you use the pass through method as eddyad specified.

You actually can use the pass through configuration, and set a timer on the VTX-D800U for recordings - you don't have to leave it on. When you set a timer using the EPG, the VTX-D800U gives you a choice of an ordinary timer, or a "wake up" timer. The "wake up" option activates the TV-Out SCART, the ordinary timer one does not (only does the VCR SCART). I do this all the time.

Mark