Can PVR's connect to a PC?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by red-eye, Jun 2, 2008.

Tags:
  1. red-eye

red-eye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all :)

As the title says, can a PVR connect to a PC?

My goal is to get all of my Sky+ recordings to PC where I can edit them (remove ads etc) and then archive to DVD.

I feel this way will be more beneficial rather than Sky+ > DVD > PC > DVD.

I'm after the best quality achievable, are these two ways classed as digital?

I have been looking at Topfield's PVR range but are these any use to me? Any recommendations for a cheaper unit?

Your guidance would be highly appreciated, thanks.

-

EDIT: I may have posted this in the wrong area, shall I post in the Sky forum?

2. FrankS

FrankS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    A Topfield will connect to a PC and you can transfer recorded programs across (not very quickly though), but it will not record from an external source (e.g. Sky + box) only from it's internal tuners.

A portable PVR (e.g. Archos plus DVR station) would be able to record from your Sky box and you could then edit the avi files (MPEG4) that it's recorded, but you will lose some quality and the files would look a bit pixelated if viewed on a large screen TV.

Check some of the media players at Maplins as well, I'm not sure but some of them might be able to record from an external source.

3. red-eye

red-eye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply FrankS.

Would you say for the best quality, I should reconsider Sky+ to DVD?

4. FrankS

FrankS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    This probably easiest, whichever way you transfer programs from a Sky+ box you will be re-encoding them so you will see some quality loss.

5. nvingo

nvingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +537
    A utility Extract+ (developer's site) can be used only for FTA channels (those you can receive without a card), if you are willing to remove the Sky+ HDD and connect it to your PC's IDE interface or a USB/IDE adapter.

Extracted files can then be edited much like video files transferred from any other PVR, and written to DVD.