Can PS4 games be played in 480P?

Discussion in 'PS4 Hardware' started by Munekun, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Munekun

Munekun
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, for reasons that will take too long to explain i will be using the PS4 in 480p. My question is can all games be played in 480p or are there any that FORCE you to switch to a higher quality? For example i noticed this on Warframes page. /

HD Video Output 720p,1080i,1080p Can anyone confirm if you can/can't infact play it in 480p? I'd really appreciate it.

2. GMC79

GMC79
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,187
    I dont think the ps4 has a scart cable and im assuming since u want to use on a non hdtv it does not have hdmi. How do u plan to connect the ps4?

3. Munekun

Munekun
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi, that's not the problem. The ps4 can use 480p through the HDMI, it's a long story but i have a hdtv that can display 1080p fine, i just need to know if the ps4 ever has games that you absolutely NEED to be higher than 480p to play.

4. GMC79

GMC79
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,187
    ah ok, i would assume once u set it in settings on the ps4 it will still work regardless of game. so i would say it'd be ok.
    However why would you use 480p if u can display 1080P on ur tv? Dont worry about long story explain lol

5. Munekun

Munekun
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It will probably sound weird but i have a huge problem when i use an HDMI cord, i'm not sure if it's just my current tv i use but i use the xbox 360 and the ps3 with the.. i think it's called av cable, and i've never once gotten a headache or anything from it but i decided to attempt to use an hdmi cord when i first heard of them and when it started up it immediately started to give me an odd feeling in my head that progressed to a headache and could have ended up as a migraine so since then i have always used the AV cable and now that this is not an option with the newer consoles i am HOPING that by setting the display to 480p[ the lowest it can go i assume ] and tweaking tv settings if i am lucky I MAY be able to use it without experiencing a headache because i'd really love to get a PS4 so i need to find a work around. I thought that i may be able to possibly use it with my computer monitor but unfortunately i can't test that until i get one but i'm slightly afraid of buying one with the off chance i can't use it.- Sorry for the long explanation and i hope it makes sense, lmao. And being completely honest 480i [what av cables use i think..] is PLENTY enough for me as i am not picky.

6. GMC79

GMC79
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,187
    yeah that does does sound weird. lol. the only difference with the av cable (scart etc) and hdmi apart from resolution would be interlaced 576i or progressive scan 480p/720p/1080p etc. Can you even get progressive scan on scart etc? no idea mayb.
    mayb try setting it to 1080i on the console and see how u get on cos that could be the only difference ur experiencing,
    Quite a weird problem has that happened as soon as you used the ps4?

7. Munekun

Munekun
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I actually had that exact train of thought and it didn't seem to make a difference. I actually haven't bought a ps4 yet as i'm afraid this problem will make me unable to play it. But i have tested the hdmi cords multiple times with both the xbox 360 and the ps3. It honestly doesn't make much sense but it's not easy to narrow down exactly what is causing the problem.

8. GMC79

GMC79
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,187
    That is very strange, cant see why you would get headaches at 1080p and not 480p it must be a personal thing. Wouldn't put me off buying tho u may be ok.

9. Munekun

Munekun
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry, i should have been more specific but i do get them at 480p aswell, any resolution while using the hdmi cord seems to have the same effect. I'm just hoping i may be able to use 480p with tweaked tv settings since i honestly have no idea what is causing it.

10. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,298
    Should probably see your doctor or optometrist. Maybe you have photosensitive epilepsy or something similar.
    Do you get headaches if playing in 1080p with sunglasses for example?

11. Nakatsu_Hime

Nakatsu_Hime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Thought I recognised that ID.
    You also asked this question on the Sony-EU forums.

You see. You can't escape me :)

12. zt1903

zt1903
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    There's no logical reason that watching content in HD (as facilitated by HDMI) should cause you to get headaches whilst watch in a lower resolution doesn't - if anything I'd expect it the other way round.

Do you get headaches watching any other HD content e.g. Sky, Blu Ray, etc? Is there a difference between this TV set and others.

I think you need to look at two major possibilities on this:

1. It's a health issue. You should consult an optician/optometrist first and then a doctor if nothing comes up. If you use screens at work you should be able to get a free eye test, get them to check stuff like your eye pressure, optic nerve, corneas, etc - which is all pretty standard with most opticians.

2. It's your TV. In all likelihood your TV has different default settings for component and HDMI. It could just be an issue with the calibration/settings. Make sure game mode is enabled if you have it, otherwise switch off all effects e.g. edge enhancement, etc. Then have a look at the settings for brightness, sharpness, contrast and make sure they're not too high.

Also have a look to see if there's an issue with the refresh rate on your TV and/or a mismatch with your console which could be headache inducing.

Do you experience these issues on other consoles on other TVs?

13. Munekun

Munekun
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I wear glasses so i actually got my eyes tested a few months back. I didn't specifically have it tested for this problem but it was a thorough eye test that i think covered just about everything.
    I also experience these types of issues on old CRTS if the refresh rate isn't atleast 80+ but this shouldn't apply to led tvs. I use and have used multiple LED monitors with dvi, and dvi should be visually the same as HDMI, correct? It confuses me even more because, like you mentioned above, I can watch the tvs built in freeview and sky and i'm not 100% if they are 1080i or not but they do not cause headaches. It literally only happens through the HDMI cord.. The only logical explanation should be that it has something to do with the settings the tv uses with the hdmi i guess.

14. zt1903

zt1903
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    DVI should, basically, be the same as HDMI in terms of picture. It shouldn't be the cable itself.

Sky is 1080i, moving from interlace to progressive shouldn't be an issue. Presumably you're also watching Sky via HDMI.

Do you get the issue with specific types of games perhaps? First person games can be headache inducing and this can come out of nowhere (e.g. I never used to have this issue at all but can get headaches playing, for example, Minecraft).

15. Munekun

Munekun
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't think the sky is connected via hdmi but because the freeview i sometimes watch is built into the TV i thought that was possibly 1080i.
    I can't stand first person games so I never play them but i have watched my younger brother play them multiple times and they don't cause a headache.

16. zt1903

zt1903
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    That would be unusual

17. Munekun

Munekun
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No one in my house really watches TV whatsoever. I think it's just an old box connected via scart. I'm honestly not even sure as i said it never even gets used, It's just the random free channels, We don't subscribe since it would very rarely be used. I obviously know It's not hd, But i am pretty sure the tvs built in freeview is.

18. GMC79

GMC79
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,187
    Good point actually with eyesight, is your eyesight ok? watching norm tv will be fine but when comes to games at 1080p and unknowingly trying to focus on things during game could cause them also if struggling to see text etc. mine aint the best these days but don't get headaches as such weird eye strain yeah need to get mine looked at but otherwise fine.
    Dont even consider a future morpheus or oculus rift :D:laugh::mad:

19. Munekun

Munekun
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I wear glasses 24/7 but surprisingly my eyesight really isn't too bad. i'm slightly nearsighted. I honestly think I just have something wrong but i'm clearly not epileptic so i'm not sure what it is. I've had sensitive eyes ever since i hit around 11 when i had what the doctors at the time thought was a seizure/stroke due to how severe the symptoms were but it turned out to just be a very severe migraine that causes my sight and speech to be screwed up, since that day i've had the "migraine" multiple times but ever since i got my glasses i haven't had a single one since, it's been about 3-4 years. The only known trigger i had for these migraines was old CRT monitors without refresh rates being atleast 80+ [I figured this out as i used to have a crt monitor that triggered them CONSTANTLY]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015