Can PS3 output Blu Ray sound as 5.1DD?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by tidusaa, Aug 25, 2013.

1. tidusaa

tidusaa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I have a my PS3 connected to a very basic Philips all in one DVD/Surround unit by optical cable. The unit is only compatible with DD5.1 as far as I can tell - not DTS or any other standards.

So, I'm fine with games and DVDs, have DD5.1 selected in the PS3 menu and they work well.

Blu Rays however.... don't give me proper 5.1. They sound OK, but I think I'm getting the same sound from the rear speakers as from the front. This is presumably because Blu Rays don't have a standard DD5.1 soundtrack, they have more advanced DTS standards.

So, is there anything I can do to make the PS3 output in DD5.1 when playing a Blu Ray? Ive always found the settings very confusing to be honest. Or am I stuck with the option of DVDs with worse picture and better sound, or Blu Rays with better picture and worse sound?

I've had a search around on the internet and turned up something about an update that has made this possible but I couldn't figure out how to make it happen.

Cheers for any help.

2. thedude

thedude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,057
    Never had problem with this myself have you set up the sound so it outputs pcm. That's the best idea, providing your amp can take it

3. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,864
    All Blu-ray titles include a standard DD 5.1 audio option and those that are encoded with DTS Master audio will also include standard DTS core audio. You need to select these options in the audio options provided by each individual Blu-ray title you play.

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,864
    If you select PCM as an output option in relation to optical then you get nothing other than stereo. S/PDIF optical cannot convey multochannel PCM audio and cannot convey more than 2 channels of PCM data.

PCM is only a viable option for multichannel audio if using HDMI!

5. thedude

thedude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,057
    I didn't see the optical part