Can PS3 be used for web browsing?

rapidone

Established Member
Reaction score
Title say is all. Does the PS3 have an operating system put onto it with a web browser?

Yes but it is total rubbish. For example just try listening to internet radio.

I wouldn't go that far, but it's slow and some flash websites are broken (YouTube is fine, though).

It's not a fully fledged browser and does have its shortcomings. Since the recent firmware upgrade, it has certainly speeded up and performs pretty well. I can get onto all my regular websites without issue.

It obviously helps if you have keyboard hooked up to your ps3.

z

Its a backup if your pc has a fault I suppose but its pretty awful by any standards. I'd give it about 2/10.

course it does, and with a blue tooth key pad and mouse you can switch to surfing with out leaving your chair, assuming the keypad's with'in reach !!

now the cogs are turning, aren't they !!

Oh come on, 2/10? Don't be ridiculous, the PS3 browser is perfectly adequate to do straightforward surfing but licensing issues are always going to be an issue for it; you are not likely to get real player, quicktime and media player support any time soon, but you should be able to play Flash videos (though an update is needed to play the newer versions).

I use it fairly often and can forgive the missing "plug ins" for the convenience of web surfing on my tv!

The only browsers that will offer you a full web experience are those on a PC.

Failing that you could install Ubuntu and use that, I hear you can get a fully functioning browser that way.

One thing though is that I would have thought Sony would have created PS3 browser specific versions of their websites!

The PS3 web browser is fine unless you want to access any digital media. Wouldn't personally use it though as it feels cheap. Such as bookmarts just being a big list.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom