1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can projector do prog scan with non prodg dvd player?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dood, May 15, 2003.

1. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Please forgive my ignorance. There's someone installing a home theatre at the moment. They are going for a Yamaha projector (probably the DPX100 DLP ). they have been told that a cheap non prog scan dvd player (Yamaha 530) will be fine as the projector will do the progressive scan stuff. Is this info correct? I was under the impression that you have to have a progressive scan DVD player. The supplier only does Yamaha stuff and says that there is no point getting the Yamaha prog scan dvd player as this is a PAL player (originally region 2 but multiregion modded).

2. radiostar

radiostar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Yes, that is true. I don't know the Yamaha model in question, but if it has progressive scan built in you are fine just using a standard non-prog DVD player. I've heard that in some cases having both units (the projector and DVD) with built-in progressive scan can be to the detriment of the picture as they can produce conflicts.

Nick

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All depends on the quality of the deinterlacer/scaler built into the PJ.

Some have Farajouda deinterlacers & do an excellent job of deinterlacing - others aren't so good & so really require a prog. scan player for better IQ.

Don't know the specs of that PJ - try avs for more info.

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    If it is the same deinterlacer as the Epson TW100 (considering the LPX500 is a clone of that model with some enhancement tweaks and a redesigned case) then you will be hard pressed to find an external unit that will do a better job with spending BIG monies.

I tried a Quadscan Pro, Briteview, iScan Pro, iScan Ultra and CS-1 with the TW100 and none of them did as good a job as the internal Faroudja DCDi deinterlacer. I can only presume that is becuase the built in one is optimised for that unit.

IMO, unless you are prepared to spend meag bucks I wouldn't even bother.

5. manny

manny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i was wondering could any of you answer the same question about the panasonic projectors, AE100 and AE300?

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They certainly don't have a Farajouda deinterlacer - that's for sure. Accordingly they'll never equal the TW100 (& clones - Messiah ;) ), which is without doubt, the best at deinterlacing (on board).

The AE100 really benefitted from 1:1 mapping via VGA so it's scaler isn't great either. Can't comment on the AE300.

:smoke:

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    ALL fixed pixel projectors work progressively. They ALL are therefore are doing progressive scanning. None require a progressive scan source to do progressive scanning.

As has been stated above the difference is only in where it is done and how good the device doing the de-interlacing is. There is more to video processing than de-interlacing though so there may be reasons why external videoprocessing, in DVD or in a seperate box, may be better than that inside a projector. The best way to check is to do the dem.

Hope this helps a little.

Gordon