Can Prog Scan recorders output without recording.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mcaw, Sep 25, 2003.

1. mcaw

mcaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Do the Prog Scan recorders ouput the normal TV tuner in Prog Scan without Recording to DVD.
    Similarly do they convert any connected device to Prog Scan without having to record and playback.

2. sub

sub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I'd also like to know the answer to this...

3. mcaw

mcaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anybody ?
    Can they output any connected device in Prog Scan without recording?

4. geordie

geordie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I doubt it, but do not know. There is a separate forum for progressive scan, four up from the bottom of the list, I suggest you re-post your question there.

5. sub

sub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I posted a similar question on another forum a few days ago. One member did reply to say that their Philips DVDR80 did indeed ouput live TV (being watched through their recorder) as progressive scan.

This is good news for me. I was previously thinking about getting iScan Ultra deinterlacer $$$. Now, I'll probably go with a Philips DVD recorder instead. These recorders contain the highly regarded Faroudja deinterlacing chipset.

6. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sorry for bumping such an old thread, but does anybody know if this is a general feature across the popular DVD recorders. i.e. Can you use them as a deinterlacer.
    Many thanks
    Azzo

7. sgruniss

sgruniss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have the panasonic DMR E85 and ANY signal input is also outputted from component.

8. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    sgruniss that's great news. One more question, can you output RGB and component at the same time. (I'm guessing not)
    Azzo

9. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Providing the output is active you will usually get the signal type specified. So if a machine has Component RCA sockets, RGB/s-video/composite scart, s-video mini-din, and a composite RCA socket then you will get all signal types simultaneously. There is, after all, nothing to turn them of, usually only to specify what comes out of the scart. The audio sockets (RCA and digital if present) will be active all the time.
    So there should be no reason why Progressive Scan should affect this arrangement
    Also, scarts set to RGB usually send composite at the same time.

10. TobyW

TobyW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've just bought a Sony plasma screen. Its instruction book says the VCR must be fed through a time base corrector. Also, I find it works better with progressive input, rather than interlaced.

The Panny E85 performs both of those functions admirably. Also, as an experiment, I connected a digital tuner directly to the plasma as S-video, and also through the E85 as composite video (converting to progressive component video). The E85 route was the better!

11. mrcoddy

mrcoddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I like to add, I'd brought a Lite-On DVD Recorder a few weeks ago to use with my LCD TV via component just to watch the TV on, as the scarts on the LCD TV were crap.

At first everything were ok, but as I tried to watch a flim on ITV2 or some other programmes, but the colours on people's faces kept changing to green and red. I believe this is something to do witht MacroVision in the signal.

I was well p***ed off with it in the end and took it back to get a refund.

So anybody whos looking to get this DVD recorder should stay well away from it.

Carl.

12. sgruniss

sgruniss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I watch everything through my panasonic , Rgb , s-video , composite . either rgb to tv or component to the projecter .