1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can polystyrene damage cables??

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by LiquidTV, Dec 10, 2004.

1. LiquidTV

LiquidTV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This thread may sound bizzare but I have heard third hand from an electrician that polystyrene used as flooring (commonly known as a floating floor) in modern houses, can wreck cables if they are in contact. Apparently, a chemical reaction occurs between the plastic casing & the polystyrene which eats into the cable, although only power cables were mentioned.

The reason I have posted this thread is that I wanted to know from any budding electricians whether this was a 'wind up' or if there is any truth in this. :blush:

I have recently completed an extension but as an afterthought I ran several coaxial cables under the floorboards between the polystyrene. Okay if true it will take many years but simple measures such as taping the cables would solve this.

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Polystyrene slowly leeches the plasticiser out of PVC covered cables, causing them to become brittle. In a coaxial cable, this will also affect the characteristics of the cables. Best thing to do is to put down layers of aluminium foil under and over the cables.