Can Police disobey traffic signs at all times?

waz2004

Established Member
Reaction score
I know that when an emergency vehicle is answering a call they can disobey traffic laws/signs. They can go up the one-way street in the opposite direction, do U-turns when not allowed or ignore no-entry signs etc.

Can the police, if not answering an emergency call, disobey traffic laws?

There is a local magistrate court located on the main road. There is a one-way side street next to it. Just as you enter the side street there is a car park on the right for the court. Numerous times i have seen police cars emerge from the car park, go along the one-way street the wrong way to join the main road. There are not on call, no lights flashing etc etc, no passengers. Are they allowed to do this?

Are they allowed to do this?

No they're not, simple.
The laws apply to the police just as they do to anyone else.

But you accuse them, they'll find a reason.

Just another reason why the police are detested in general :(

Just another reason why the police are detested in general :(

Do you mean "just another reason, why some people dislike some police..........."

:confused:
Sidicks

Do you mean "just another reason, why some people dislike some police..........."

Sidicks

No.
I'll stand by what I said.

Don't get me wrong, I've had my run ins with law in my younger days :blush:, but now totally understand why they're necessary and would happily assist them :smashin:

But you try calling them out in Birmingham :(
Of course you might get better service in your area.

I'll tell you now, most people I know will only call them to get a crime number.
And will totally not bother for anything other than a major crime.

No.
I'll tell you now, most people I know will only call them to get a crime number.

Is that quite the same as 'detested in general'......
Sidicks

Is that quite the same as 'detested in general'......
Sidicks

:)

Yes it is, in my experience.
As in can't be bothered unless there's a business being robbed.
Then you get a lightning response.
I've seen both sides.

I can't remember if you're police or not (I think you are), but if you are, you're massively under-resourced and on a hiding to nothing, because you're not effective in doing what you're supposed to do ie upholding the law.

No wonder crime is officially going down, it's because no-one bothers to report it, imo.

And the chasing of motorists, doesn't help the overall impression, when people are getting nicked for doing a bit over the limit (please don't say this doesn't happen) whilst going about their everyday legitimate business.

The police are just seen as a money making scam, by most people I know.
Yet another "service" that has to pay it's way (this line is a personal view :D)

Fine, fine, fine, anyone who hints that he can afford it, but don't do anything to actually deter.

Sorry if it upsets you, but the police are just rated as a total waste of time in the major cities.

In fairness, my limited experience of people who live in the sticks suggests that their experience is more positive.
But not much.

And so Sidicks is offline, having offered no answer to the original question, save to hint that the police are ok.

Troll/shitstirrer or what? :rolleyes:

Badger0-0 said:
And so Sidicks is offline, having offered no answer to the original question, save to hint that the police are ok.

Troll/shitstirrer or what? :rolleyes:

Of course the police have to obey the law, and no doubt there are some police that take advantage of their position.

I have no sympathy with those that do so.

However their job is a difficult one, and I fail to understand how you can justify the comments you make given the huge variety of tasks that officers are asked to perform.

Sidicks

Badger0-0 said:
I can't remember if you're police or not (I think you are), but if you are, you're massively under-resourced and on a hiding to nothing, because you're not effective in doing what you're supposed to do ie upholding the law.

I am nothing to do with the police and have no connection that might make my views biased on way or the other!

sorry to disappoint you!

Badger0-0 said:
No wonder crime is officially going down, it's because no-one bothers to report it, imo.
I have some sympathy with this view.

Badger0-0 said:
And the chasing of motorists, doesn't help the overall impression, when people are getting nicked for doing a bit over the limit (please don't say this doesn't happen) whilst going about their everyday legitimate business.

I have some sympathy with this view, but in my experience not all traffic officers are like this.
Sidicks

Thanks for answering the question :smashin:

And yes, I've said their job is difficult and they don't help themselves.
And I've no doubt there are some very fair police.

But it still doesn't detract from the fact that they are generally detested by most people I know.

I've got a policeman as a sort of distant relative, fwiw.
I'm told he's been on the sick for the best part of 15 years, but is about to retire on a full pension.

Drinks and drives all the time, but will shop anyone he sees doing the same, if he doesn't know them.

I don't suppose that helps :thumbsdow

1s0gtu.jpg

Why do people complain yet do NOTHING about it, but moan on forums.
If he drinks and drives tell the police, simple.
I have breathalised off duty coppers before (it was a Sargeant too).

To the OP, the police have to abide by all the traffic laws that everyone else has to, and rightfully so too.
However, they can break these laws at certain times, but have to justify it.
I have known police to get speeding tickets, parking fines (whilst in marked cars) and in trouble for loads of offences. Like most people or walks of life, there are chancers, but the police are more in the public eye and should NOT do this.

Tell your local police (the one local to this court) about it, and it will get read out on briefings and hopefully stopped.
If they had an accident it would them them having to explain why they broke the law and I wouldnt like their chances to be honest. A lad on my shift (I am a traffic officer) got kicked off traffic for going the wrong way onto a dual carraigeway whilst following a stolen car, and was using blues and twos. He was deamed to be putting the public at risk and by pushing the suspect on to do something he may not want to (speed into on coming traffic).

Read "Perverting the Course of Justice" by Inspector Gadget as it's a highly illuminating read on how political meddling with our policing has made it what it is today.

If you don't want to read his book (I highly recommend it) try reading his blog instead

No.
I'll stand by what I said.

Don't get me wrong, I've had my run ins with law in my younger days :blush:, but now totally understand why they're necessary and would happily assist them :smashin:

But you try calling them out in Birmingham :(
Of course you might get better service in your area.

its not the police fault that there is so much crime in birmingham so there spread thin :blush:

Hi,

I'm a police officer and police driver. To clarify there are only 3 offences for which police are exempt in law and everything else they have to obey just like everyone else.

In summary, the law shall not apply to any vehicle when it used for Fire Bridge, Ambulance or Police Purposes if the observance of that provision will be likely to hinder the use of that vehicle.

Speed limits (Section 87 Road Traffic Regulation Act)

Traffic Lights (Regulation 36 1b Traffic Sign Regulation and General Directions 2002)

Keep left (and right) signs (Regulation 15 (2) Traffic Sign Regulation and General Directions 2002)

Everything else is up to the officer to justify using their professional judgement and the circumstances and no circumstances can justify the breaking of any law if it would endanger other road users. For example Red lights should still be treated as a Stop or Give Way irrespective of the exemption in law.

Hi,

I'm a police officer and police driver. To clarify there are only 3 offences for which police are exempt in law and everything else they have to obey just like everyone else.

In summary, the law shall not apply to any vehicle when it used for Fire Bridge, Ambulance or Police Purposes if the observance of that provision will be likely to hinder the use of that vehicle.

Speed limits (Section 87 Road Traffic Regulation Act)

Traffic Lights (Regulation 36 1b Traffic Sign Regulation and General Directions 2002)

Keep left (and right) signs (Regulation 15 (2) Traffic Sign Regulation and General Directions 2002)

Everything else is up to the officer to justify using their professional judgement and the circumstances and no circumstances can justify the breaking of any law if it would endanger other road users. For example Red lights should still be treated as a Stop or Give Way irrespective of the exemption in law.

Same for the fire service but we can leave a vehicle with the engine running.

As for how people treat the police I have had to work closely with many of them. They always showed us respect, after all we were the ones with the big hoses.:devil:

However, the police are not trusted, and in some cases hated, in many parts of my community after Thatcher used them as her private army during the miners' strike.

Quite disappointed by your attitude badger especially as I'm in the West Mids Police although cover Sandwell and not Aston.

I find 99% of the people who have been in trouble with the police don't like them. Even well known s**ts report stuff to the Police around here and Smethwicks not known for being a nice place.

Obviously the respect for the Police isn't like it used to be and some people do let the Police down but to say most people detest the police is well off the mark.

I always thought you was a decent bloke on the forums but maybe your comments above have changed how I think about you :-(

Quite disappointed by your attitude badger especially as I'm in the West Mids Police although cover Sandwell and not Aston.

I find 99% of the people who have been in trouble with the police don't like them. Even well known s**ts report stuff to the Police around here and Smethwicks not known for being a nice place.

Obviously the respect for the Police isn't like it used to be and some people do let the Police down but to say most people detest the police is well off the mark.

I always thought you was a decent bloke on the forums but maybe your comments above have changed how I think about you :-(

Sorry mate, it's nothing personal and I can only go by experience.

In the last 10 years we've been burgled twice, the missus had her car stolen and I was hit in the face from behind by a 15-16 YO in my own front garden.

The two burglaries, the police didn't even come out.
Just some geezer to take fingerprints a couple of days later.

The car resulted in a policewoman coming out to take a statement.

The assault bought the police round a couple of hours later.
They took a statement, but when I told them it was only because the kid punched like a girl that I never battered him, they proceeded to lecture me saying it was a good job I didn't, as they'd have been arresting me instead!

The end result of all these?
Nothing.

I've also phoned the police about gangs of youths riding Quad bikes and scramblers (regularly) along the pavement at stupid speeds (30mph+).
No one ever comes out, so I don't bother anymore.

The word "detest" is probably a bit strong in my case.
Like I said I've matured and so see the need for the police.
But they're still a waste of time for your average everyday crime, imo.

As I said massively under-resourced, making them ineffective.

its not the police fault that there is so much crime in birmingham so there spread thin

Agreed, see above.

Read "Perverting the Course of Justice" by Inspector Gadget as it's a highly illuminating read on how political meddling with our policing has made it what it is today.

If you don't want to read his book (I highly recommend it) try reading his blog instead

I'll certainly have a nose at the blog, cheers :smashin:

Sandwell? Thats my local area.

Were you the cop that scraped my car with your wing mirror while chasing a criminal? :mad:

:devil:

Always curious why the Police think they're "officers".

They aren't.

Even the most senior is non-commissioned and does not hold office.

They are all constables and hold a warrant card.

Blunkett's PCSO's are debatable. The "O" stands for officer, but they don't carry warrant cards, aren't commissioned, don't hold office and have about the same powers we all do.

American police are called "officers". Maybe that's why our constables think they are above themselves.

They aren't.

Blunkett's PCSO's are debatable. The "O" stands for officer, but they don't carry warrant cards, aren't commissioned, don't hold office and have about the same powers we all do.

American police are called "officers". Maybe that's why our constables think they are above themselves.
Officer I would deem as a slang term. Nobody sees themself an an ACTUAL Officer. Personally, I'll always say Officer over 'Constable'. Rolls off the tongue that much better.

My Wife is in the Met Police and I wouldn't dare let her see some of the stuff thats been written here. She'd go mental and my quality of XBox time would go right down the drain :D

They aren't.

No one forces you to call them officer. My job title is a Police constable, if people wish to call me officer then thats there choice.

I guess you've had a running or two with the Police to!! :facepalm:

Sandwell? Thats my local area.

Were you the cop that scraped my car with your wing mirror while chasing a criminal? :mad:

:devil:

Can't recall doing so which part of Sandwell do you live?

I cover the "south" side oldbury/smethwick/black heath/cradley/oldhill etc etc.

Sorry mate, it's nothing personal and I can only go by experience.

In the last 10 years we've been burgled twice, the missus had her car stolen and I was hit in the face from behind by a 15-16 YO in my own front garden.

The two burglaries, the police didn't even come out.
Just some geezer to take fingerprints a couple of days later.

The car resulted in a policewoman coming out to take a statement.

The assault bought the police round a couple of hours later.
They took a statement, but when I told them it was only because the kid punched like a girl that I never battered him, they proceeded to lecture me saying it was a good job I didn't, as they'd have been arresting me instead!

The end result of all these?
Nothing.

I've also phoned the police about gangs of youths riding Quad bikes and scramblers (regularly) along the pavement at stupid speeds (30mph+).
No one ever comes out, so I don't bother anymore.

The word "detest" is probably a bit strong in my case.
Like I said I've matured and so see the need for the police.
But they're still a waste of time for your average everyday crime, imo.

As I said massively under-resourced, making them ineffective.

Agreed, see above.

I'll certainly have a nose at the blog, cheers :smashin:

I must admit if thats your experience then its totally unacceptable and if it was me I would of put in a complaint and make sure it was followed up as to why nothing had happened.

As for what happens when someone is convicted. That is purely down to the CPS if they get charged most of the time and the Courts to decide what happens if they get there!!

It would be nice to be shown some appreciation sometimes though mate.

If you purchased a bmw and it broke down after 6 months does that mean every single BMW is a piece of sh*t??

Can't recall doing so which part of Sandwell do you live?

I cover the "south" side oldbury/smethwick/black heath/cradley/oldhill etc etc.

I come under that area.

Happened a few weeks ago. Was early hours of the morning but they did knock on our door to explain and leave a reference. Just a scuff so thankfully no major damage! My Dad wasn't happy at being kept up at 3am though. :laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom