Can playing games and watching tv on a plasma make you ill ?

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I can't put my finger on it, but playing games, even for a short while on my 508xd, can make me feel a little nauseous and quite ill. Watching tv too, can induce similar feeling, but not as severe. I can't put my finger on it, but after numerous discussions today, it seems i'm not alone in this. My friend Mark has recently gone to an lcd from a plasma, and we both talked about the different technologies and their strengths and weaknesses.
It's almost as if you're having to really concentrate to watch what's in front of you, rather that just looking at it. Is it because plasma is a gas, and lcd is a liquid, and therefore in a more 'solid' and visible state ? I know it's not a solid, but do you see my point ? Also, the plasma rainbows, or 'plainbows' as some call them. Visible if you glance around the screen rather than staring at it ? Are these always visible, and causing the ill feeling, and we only notice them when we look across at something, or someone else, whether onscreen or sat next to us ?
Mark has also said, since he got his lcd, he can actually play a few xbox360 games til late at night and sleep straightaway, something that induced restlessness, and nausea before the switch, and something that really affects me very badly.
I'm really looking forward to some interesting replies. Cheers, Ozzzy.

Could be "lag" that causes that. If it's not responsive when you turn corners, the delay can make you feel really sick.

I used to feel dizzy playing 1st person games like doom when turning quickly in the game on my old crt monitor.

Lcd does not effect me.

Maybe it's the radiation that comes from plasma and crt and also how close you are from the tv.

Drinking and smoking cannibis do not help.

guitar hero makes me feel really sick....after playin for 1 hour ..turn towards the wall ..omg...i nearly collapse..its like bein hammered !!!

Could be "lag" that causes that. If it's not responsive when you turn corners, the delay can make you feel really sick.

I used to feel dizzy playing 1st person games like doom when turning quickly in the game on my old crt monitor.

Lcd does not effect me.

Maybe it's the radiation that comes from plasma and crt and also how close you are from the tv.

Drinking and smoking cannibis do not help.

You may drink, and smoke cannabis. I do not.
Sitting 14 feet away and having ambient light in the room doesn't seem to be an awful lot better. I hope it's not radiation, my mobile phone gives me a friggin headache, i hope my tv doesn't too. :mad:

Hi all. I can't put my finger on it, but playing games, even for a short while on my 508xd, can make me feel a little nauseous and quite ill. Watching tv too, can induce similar feeling, but not as severe. I can't put my finger on it, but after numerous discussions today, it seems i'm not alone in this. My friend Mark has recently gone to an lcd from a plasma, and we both talked about the different technologies and their strengths and weaknesses.
It's almost as if you're having to really concentrate to watch what's in front of you, rather that just looking at it. Is it because plasma is a gas, and lcd is a liquid, and therefore in a more 'solid' and visible state ? I know it's not a solid, but do you see my point ? Also, the plasma rainbows, or 'plainbows' as some call them. Visible if you glance around the screen rather than staring at it ? Are these always visible, and causing the ill feeling, and we only notice them when we look across at something, or someone else, whether onscreen or sat next to us ?
Mark has also said, since he got his lcd, he can actually play a few xbox360 games til late at night and sleep straightaway, something that induced restlessness, and nausea before the switch, and something that really affects me very badly.
I'm really looking forward to some interesting replies. Cheers, Ozzzy.

Hi ozzzy189 :)
Interesting post by the way. :smashin:
When i do get to play my 360 it's only for about an hour and i've felt no ill effects from this,ever. :)
My teenage son has a LCD and that does hurt my eyes,probably because i'm not used to them. :rolleyes:
Saturday night viewing is for about 7 hours solid and ive never felt any nauseous or eye strain and i view at just over seven feet. ;)
Her indoors has never mentioned any issues with viewing the Plasma either and believe me if there was a problem should would say.
surprised-030.png

All the best mate.
happy-135.gif

Its funny, I get really sick whenever Man U are on:confused:

Having only got my new TV today I sure hope you are wrong :eek:

Do you think the problem might be that as the screens are quite big your eyes are kinda darting around a lot and that might be causing it? Possibly once you get used to it this feeling will go.

Lyn

Its funny, I get really sick whenever Man U are on:confused:

Same happens to me when Leeds are on ! Which isn't much these days :D. Cheers Kingfats, i thought it would provoke some interesting posts, but not too many as yet. No offence meant to any posters.

I find I get travel sickness when playing first person type games, but that's not limited to plasma for me. Playing them on a PC with a small LCD screen did the same, but then I did sit close.

I'm wondering if it's the size of the screen, and the fact they are so realistic/immersive (sp?), that you get the same effect as car sickness, your eye tells your brain you are moving, but your brain knows you are sitting still (or something like that) because you don't register the edge of the screen.

Got a little of the same feeling on fast paced movies when we first got the 508XD, but don't anymore. I guess we're used to it now.

We got a Wii for Christmas, and no problems at all on any of the games, including Mario Galaxy.

I've put it down to motion sickness.

I suppose you can, but when my mate came round today, and played a game of halo on my plasma, he felt a bit dizzy, playing the same game on his sony lcd doesn't make him ill, even though the panning and movement on the pio is better.

It does sound like motion sickness or possibly a mild case photosensitivity.

As an experiment (as know this couldn't be a solution) you could try taking a travel sickness pill following the guidelines on the packaging as if for a car journey and then have a session on a game that induces the sickness feeling the most. If this helps it would go some way towards confirming the motion sickness theory.

Check out the URL's below to some tips to help with this problem and as you will see the US army have done some research into this kind of problem which they call "simulator sickness". The second URL has a link to a PDF of their research but it's a little on the wordy side at 70 pages :eek:.

http://gamedame.wordpress.com/2007/09/28/halo-3-gives-me-motion-sickness/

http://gamedame.wordpress.com/2007/10/01/how-to-prevent-motion-sickness-from-halo-3/

Just noticed the domain name! :rotfl: Hope it helps anyway mate.

I've sat in front of COD4, Mario Galaxy and Puzzle Quest (thanks to your suggestion Ozzzy ;) )on my plasma for 2-3 hours at a time recently (and on my 19" LCD as well) and not noticed any particular ill effects from either apart from deep vein thrombosis from being such a sofa dwelling layabout.

And a serious puzzle quest addiction. :D

I don't think it's motion sicknes, as it can occur just watching tv, but maybe the radiation thing could be an issue ?

I don't think it's motion sicknes, as it can occur just watching tv, but maybe the radiation thing could be an issue ?

Are you also sensitive to wireless access points and bluetooth communications ? Cell phone towers ?

I doubt radiation would cause any problems if the above dont bother you. A cellphone is likely to put out far higher amounts of radiation.

My mobile does give me migraines if i use it to call people, i have had about 5, and they all do it. They get hot and warm the side of my face up. I try to use speakerphone where possible. I must be really sensitive to it, or maybe i'm riddled with some kind of horrid radiation disease !

I was all excited about buying a 42'' Pioneer Kuro, but when I went to see it in John Lewis i found that the rainbow effect was terrible... Even just looking at it for a few minutes made me feel very strange.
I was gutted 'cause the picture is amazing, but there is no way I could live with one.

Sorry for being a newbie, but what does a rainbow effect mean? :confused:

Some people report seeing green/white/yellow/blue flashes in their peripheral vision whilst viewing plasma. Although i am not massively affected, there is something behind this. I've been advise to go and see an optician and mention my issue and peripheral vision whilst viewing tv.

i also get what i call travel sickness on first person games... i first noticed it when i bought a game cube years ago, playing a star wars game on a 32inch crt made me actually throw up. i still get it on my 42inch pz70 but i find if i sit further away it lessens. but it also depends on how engrossed i am in the game, after a few hours it can really knock me about. i dont think its anything to do with radiation but it may very well be the simulator sickness the yanks have been on about. the brain is being told your moving about, like your the shooter in a fps for instance but when you dont actually move the brain gets confused and makes you feel sick. like reverese sea sickness. ive had a lcd monitor before this plasma and i found no difference. try sitting further away and taking regular breaks. works for me, although sometimes you cant help getting engrossed, thats when i spew! :devil:

Some people report seeing green/white/yellow/blue flashes in their peripheral vision whilst viewing plasma. Although i am not massively affected, there is something behind this. I've been advise to go and see an optician and mention my issue and peripheral vision whilst viewing tv.

I have seen that occasionally. Whenever I look for it, it goes away. Not that I am complaining.

So its not apparent enough for me to be even sure whether its actually happening.

Cheers guys. I tyry to sit about 14 feet away, but do sit about 7 feet away occasionally if i'm playing over xbox live. The radiation thing is aworry though. The links echo 419 provided make interesting reading.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom