1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can plasmas be repaired?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Chavvychase, May 28, 2005.

1. Chavvychase

Chavvychase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ask this because of the big differences in price between the same products with a one year and a five year guarantee. For example, one internet retailer is offering the 500 with pedestal for just under 2k, whereas at JL and Panasonic it is I believe about 2700, with five year guarantee. But if plasmas are difficult or impossible to repair, the cheaper one year guarantee option no longer looks like a good deal.

2. voxmagna

voxmagna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suspect the warranties are just insurance addons in the marketing mix to sell a high value product. Since most plasmas are bulky items to ship, replacement or on-site repair seem the only practical option.

It will be a long time before you can get a big Jiffy bag for a plasma! By then you will be charged by size, not just weight and cheaper new and better plasmas will be available. Perhaps Comet or Currys will offer a repair service in future??

I discounted 1 year Sale of Goods warranty and set myself minimum 2 year factory warranty as my bottom line and looked for the best price. 3rd party insurance warranties may have so many let outs you'd struggle to claim, so read the small print (if they offer it!).

3. alliwant

alliwant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Vox, i agree if it was a washing machine, but a plasma?

From what i have read on here most can not be easily repaired and often result in a new screen, so i would say the 5 year would give you the better deal and let you sleep at night :)

4. voxmagna

voxmagna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I was a bit tongue in cheek! but I'm sure they will be offering their services to the less informed. Anyway, particularly with 3rd party warranties you can't always be sure who would carry out the service (so I'd check the T&C's) and its not unknown for goods to be returned with more things wrong.

I have a hatred for board swapping these days (even on washing machines) You send back a product with one simple power supply fault and it comes back with a new personality of somebody elses intermittent faults they never found on the boards they swapped.

5. Zephyrius

Zephyrius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I share your feelings about the questional value of purchasing a warantee for several hundred pounds on top of the cost of a good CRT, as these are generally considered to be reliable. But a plasma or LCD?

Just Looking at the Sale of Goods Act factsheet at http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/salegoodsact.htm

• For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement).

• A purchaser who is a consumer, i.e. is not buying in the course of a business, can alternatively request a repair or replacement.

• If repair and replacement are not possible or too costly, then the consumer can seek a partial refund, if they have had some benefit from the good, or a full refund if the fault/s have meant they have enjoyed no benefit

• In general, the onus is on all purchasers to prove the goods did not conform to contract (e.g. was inherently faulty) and should have reasonably lasted until this point in time (i.e. perishable goods do not last for six years).

• If a consumer chooses to request a repair or replacement, then for the first six months after purchase it will be for the retailer to prove the goods did conform to contract (e.g. were not inherently faulty)

• After six months and until the end of the six years, it is for the consumer to prove the lack of conformity.

6. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what follows is a rant of my own opinion,If you dont agree with me ok but it's my opinion and you cant have it Na Na na na na!

Right lets stop all this you can claim up to five years on the warranty thing now!
    Its up to YOU to prove it and unless you have a few quid (for lawyers) its unlikely that you will prove that the product was inherently faulty four years and six months after purchase.

Warranty sales people will tell you that sometimes that it covers accidental damage(not always) so you dont have to claim on your house insurance if your house insurance covers that sort of thing.

Plasmas are repaired by people trained to change various panels and often not by engineers trained to repair items down to component level.
    It saves on paying for expensive engineers and its cheaper than having people technical people who know how they properly work at the UK division of there company.
    The repair of plasma was taken away from the local independant retailers with a repair centre to the manufacturer's own agents in many cases.
    This has not helped keeping the price of repairs competitive.
    If it is the panel it's self that go's faulty yes big money repair but remember lots of warrantys dont cover dead pixels and screen burn or accidental damage!

All insurance companies do is evaluate the risk of repair add a profit margin add the the commision they pay to the retailer and the tax to the government and charge you that.
    I have on many products asked how much the warranty is and put that amount into a high interest account after the five years i have enough money to buy a new product! Only once did i have a faulty item(I tend to buy better brand name products) and that was a VCR which had now become so cheap that i had enough money in my repair fund to buy a new one anyway! I am willing to take the risk but with funds put on one side to help cover my risk but at all times that money remains MINE!

often with some plasma sales the warranty is the only part of the deal that they make any money on!Thats why the company and the salesperson push it so hard.

7. voxmagna

voxmagna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I think everybody is making good points. I don't buy a product on Warranties alone. I once had a Comet salesman try to sell me a 3 year warranty, when I'd looked inside the washing machine and found the manufacturer included 2 years free!

Chances are as we said, proving a claim can be hard and expensive. Consumers would have more power if they read and contributed to Forums like this. Would a wise buyer consider a Tiny plasma with a 10 year warranty? Let's not forget that if a warranty provider goes bust, you have nothing.

The warranty providers know the market cost and replacement trend of a product (that's not the retail price to us) and have a better idea of new products in development and launch timetable than we do. But we are growing into a nation of consumers convinced that insurance is more important than good buying sense. We all like to feel happy and at ease. Even products coming from reputable volume manufacturers at higher prices can fail and it really is up to individuals to decide their level of risk and warranty that keeps them happy.

There's a thread here about 'protecting investment' so I hijacked the words to link to warranties. Despite the price, plasma panels and most AV equipment cannot be considered an investment when volumes keep going up, prices go down, technical standards are changing and they offer more features on new models. A better 'investment' would be a bank, equities or building society.

We're buying pleasure from a product with a limited life, so mitigating risk through warranty really depends on whether your plasma TV is the only thing worth living for, or you live a varied life of ups and downs, take more risks and resolve problems when you meet them - or assume everything will happen to you. Of course, if you think the kids or your party friends are likely to pour drinks in the top of your plasma you build that in to your risk assessment and insure against it.

8. Chavvychase

Chavvychase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I remember last year i bought a Sony camera from Circuit city in the US and the salesgirl seemed to be entirely focused on me purchasing a warranty, even though I told her I didn't live in the States. She even followed me to the check out counter to try to pursuade me to take out the warranty. The reason was pretty obvious.

In the case of Plasmas, I think many people though might find the 5 year warranty attractive (a) because they are a lot more expensive than CRTs and (b) because they are so new and their life expectancy is still unknown