Can Pioneer 656 be modified do PAL Progressive

Jon Weaver

Distinguished Member
I have been reading the recent review of the Pioneer 656 in "Home Entertainment" magazine which says something along the lines of:

"It outputs NTSC Progressive Scan as default, but PAL Progressive Scan can be enabled by your local hot-rodder".

By this, I guess that they are suggesting that as well as being made Multi-Region and disabling MacroVision, PAL PS can also be enabled.

Is this really the case?? Is anyone offering a PAL PS version?

I realise that PAL PS has now become 'legal' and could theorietically appear in an offical version, but I wonder what the score is with the current models.

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
This player is possible to mod for SDI as well as several other digitalgoodies (SACD /DVD A digital output). Perhaps a nice change to the usual Pannasonic players for SDI.

Jon Weaver

Distinguished Member
Here is the exact quote:

"With the DV-656A you get progressive scan pictures for connection to compatible projectors and plasma screens (technically in NTSC only, but like most DVD locks, this too can be by-passed for PAL disks thansk to your friendly neighbourhood hot-rodder)"

I would say that this statement more than implies that this is possible.

J

JVB

Originally posted by The Beekeeper
This player is possible to mod for SDI as well as several other digitalgoodies (SACD /DVD A digital output). Perhaps a nice change to the usual Pannasonic players for SDI.

The 656 is available with SDI and Codefree (as a change on the panasonic)
JVBdigital seems to have it available.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom