1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can Pal speed up be gotten rid of?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Sigismund, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Hi all :)

I'm something of a computer dweeb, but having sold all my Pal DVDs and replaced them with NTSC discs I read somewhere today that the Pal speed up issue can be eliminated with the use of a PC!

Now I've been inducted into the world of projectors and awaiting delivery of a Sony HS50 I'm starting to consider that buying the odd R2 UK DVD could once more be an enjoyable experience...

Could anybody relieve me of my ignorance on how to slow Pal DVDs down, and whether there are any "side effects" by doing so?

Thanks,

Mark

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    WinDVD implements what it calls "TrueSpeed" or something like that which allegedly does this, never tried it so can't comment, that's the only product I've seen claim to do this.

3. timothyw

timothyw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I've had a try at doing this and at the moment seems to be a distinctly time consuming and complicated process. I'll probably find the time to have another try over christmas holidays. I wrote off using windvd to do it because the version i tried (several years back now) had a rubbish timestretching algorithm for the sound.

4. fastedd

fastedd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think if you use true speed you can only use analogue sound from windvd as the prog does not re-encode the spidif stream. If you want to do this and use a digital link to an av amp you will need an Nforce 2 delux motherboard I think.

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,112
    I'm pretty sure it passes to the spdif , no real reason why it shouldn't.
    Also I think the latest version of reclock can use the winddvd truepeed code (if you have windvd installed) and apply it to other software but I haven't used it myself.

I actually have windvd 5 on my workstation PC but rarely use it for anything other than divx movies . HTPC only runs TT 2.

6. timothyw

timothyw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    It will not let you switch on truespeed if spdif output is enabled. Or, if it does it will not change the speed at all. The real reason why it shouldn't is that to do so would require decoding the ac3 audio, slowing it down, then encoding it again to output it to recever- it does not have this encoding built in, you'd need to use a soundstorm/asus live motherboard or some kind of setup via ac3filter to do this. If you are serious about doing this then i really wouldn't recommend adding this additional processing and instead using a decent soundcard's analogue outs.

7. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Thanks guys - on my web travels I read somewhere about this (of course, I cannot remember where :rolleyes: ) and from the way it was written assumed it would be straight-forward. It clearly is not straight forward, which means it is well and truly beyond my abilities :blush:

Cheers,

Mark

8. MattTheCat

MattTheCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just use reclock (search www.avsforum.com for more info)!

I do, and reencode with Soundstorm out to my receiver. Reclock for me sounded better than the buggy WinDVD TruSpeed.

My 2 pence :)