Can Onkyo TX NR 676 drive Klipsch RP 280F without feeling underpowered?

jwong

Standard Member
Hi, I am thinking upgrading my speakers for my home theater system, I have read a lot of positive reviews about the Klipsch speakers, I am thinking upgrading to the following: Klipsch RP450C for the center, and Klipsch RP280F for the front (left and right). My question is:

Can I just connect the Klipsch speakers to the Onkyo TX NR 676 directly without feeling underpowered?

Thank you for visiting this post.

Rambles

Distinguished Member
Hi. Those klipsch speakers have a very high sensitivity rating, which means they are very easy to drive without needing lots of power.

What other speakers will you have connected to your Onkyo? What size is your room? What do you like to listen to?

jwong

Standard Member
Hi. Those klipsch speakers have a very high sensitivity rating, which means they are very easy to drive without needing lots of power.

What other speakers will you have connected to your Onkyo? What size is your room? What do you like to listen to?
Thank you for the reply, Rambles.

It is quite expensive to replace all speakers at once, so I want to start with the center and the front ones first, eventually replace them all to Klipsch speakers. Currently I have all Polk Audio speakers in my home theater system. But eventually I want to replace my Monitor 30 (surround channel) with Klipsch RP 250S, and also add height channel with Klipsch RP 140SA.

My room is about 31 x 24 square feet maybe. I use the speakers to watch movie mostly.

Rambles

Distinguished Member
The Onkyo 676 is going to manage approximately 70 watts per channel all channels driven.

The Klipsch speakers are rated at sensitivity of 98db (1 watt will produce 98db at 1 metre).

If you sit, say, 4 metres away, 70 watts will get you to approx 104db, but this calculation does not take into account room reflections, or any audio that is diverted to a subwoofer via the crossover setting, so you have more headroom there than that number suggests.

The Polk Audio speakers are rated at 90db sensitivity (not sure if they are all the same, but the one I looked at had that rating), so that means at 4 metres 70 watts will get you to approx 96db.

However, maths aside, if your Onkyo is currently driving your Polk Audio speakers to your satisfaction, then it will drive the Klipsch.

Last edited:

jwong

Standard Member
The Onkyo 676 is going to manage approximately 70 watts per channel all channels driven.

The Klipsch speakers are rated at sensitivity of 98db (1 watt will produce 98db at 1 metre).

If you sit, say, 4 metres away, 70 watts will get you to approx 104db, but this calculation does not take into account room reflections, or any audio that is diverted to a subwoofer via the crossover setting, so you have more headroom there than that number suggests.

The Polk Audio speakers are rated at 90db sensitivity (not sure if they are all the same, but the one I looked at had that rating), so that means at 4 metres 70 watts will get you to approx 96db.

However, maths aside, if your Onkyo is currently driving your Polk Audio speakers to your satisfaction, then it will drive the Klipsch.
Thank you very much for the reply, Rambles. This has been very helpful.

Top Bottom