Can one replace MCE with XP Pro?

sanderton

Novice Member
martynh said:
I would highly recommend re-installing, I did it with my Dell XPS laptop and all the drivers were easily available on the Dell website. The bloatware that comes with Dell machines is appaling :mad: . Also I got my Dell Outlet machine with XP home and wanted MCE, but that's a move I've regretted as I've found MCE to be far less stable than XP home, averaging about one blue screen a week compared to none previously :thumbsdow
Actuall full-on blue screen, not just a lock up? I don't think you can put that down to MCE. The only blue screens I've ever had on XP of any flavour have turned out to be hardware related.
 

sanderton

Novice Member
mark.carline said:
It does mention that the domain joining bit seems to have been switched off (maybe due to licensing) but there are a large number of people that have managed to do it anyway:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/887212/EN-US/?

Roll on vista anyway...
For extenders to work, you need to have Fast User Switching turned on (Extenders connect as users in the background). FUS is incompatible with joining a domain (true in XP Pro, not just MCE), hence the option is removed.
 

mark.carline

Novice Member
sanderton said:
The only blue screens I've ever had on XP of any flavour have turned out to be hardware related.
Agree - XP (Pro or Media Centre) is rock solid if you make sure that:

1) Your using decent hardware (examples but not limited to) :
video = nvidia
sound = creative
motherboard = gigabyte / asus
chipset = intel
cpu = intel
2) Your using decent drivers (the fast you've got decent hardware this isnt an issue).
3) Make sure you use decent AV package (ie Symantec)
4) Dont keep installing loads of stuff "to try it out" - use a separate PC or keep restoring back to a known ghost image
5) Dont overclock and make sure everything is running nice and cool.

Remember that hardware drivers live much closer to the kernal and so they can make calls to the OS that allow it to do a blue screen.
 

WheresMyArtisan

Novice Member
I think the main problem is not XP Pro or MCE but, as pointed out above, all the crap that Dell tip onto their PCs. For this reason alone, you'd be far better off blowing it away and starting again. Whether you use MCE or XP Pro is obviously your choice, but you may possibly only have media for XP Pro anyway.

Regarding the XP Pro or MCE debate, I use MCE as a desktop PC and as two dedicated TVs. I also have XP Pro on two others. I've only seen a blue screen on one of them - the MCE one that the computer supplier setup, not me.

So, from my sample of five PCs, it's not the OS that matters, but who set it up. If it's full of pointless utilities and adverts then it'll probably die every now and then.
 

weebroonieuk

Standard Member
mark.carline said:
Agree - XP (Pro or Media Centre) is rock solid if you make sure that:

1) Your using decent hardware (examples but not limited to) :
video = nvidia
sound = creative
motherboard = gigabyte / asus
chipset = intel
cpu = intel
2) Your using decent drivers (the fast you've got decent hardware this isnt an issue).
3) Make sure you use decent AV package (ie Symantec)
4) Dont keep installing loads of stuff "to try it out" - use a separate PC or keep restoring back to a known ghost image
5) Dont overclock and make sure everything is running nice and cool.

Remember that hardware drivers live much closer to the kernal and so they can make calls to the OS that allow it to do a blue screen.


plenty of decent hardware companys have released crappy drivers so it is an issue do not assume a good hardware vendor always means good drivers everytime, its impossible because of everyones differing machines

and why not overclock ? aslong as its stable it is fine , thats like saying dont buy a faster cpu because its slightly hotter than the slower one

ive got a dual core opteron running at 2.8 for both cores when i need it to and when its not needed it drops back down to 1.55 ghz with 1v using crystal cpu its great and more power than your average htpc and it also clcoks down to slower than some htpc's so best of both worlds

oh and it not crashed yet of its own accord only when ive been testing stuff and doing things that i know it will probably crash
 
M

martynh

Guest
sanderton said:
Actuall full-on blue screen, not just a lock up? I don't think you can put that down to MCE. The only blue screens I've ever had on XP of any flavour have turned out to be hardware related.
Both - I've had a couple of blue screens, a couple of lock ups and three or four random reboots. Normally I would blame this on hardware/drivers but I had none of these problems before I installed MCE, so either it's a massive coincidence or it's MCE :(
 

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom