Question Can Oled go more than 1000 nits?

I'm sure on one of the AVF podcasts they mentioned some engineers saying they wont go far beyond 1000 nits in a good calibrated mode, which was news to me, but was a passing comment on the podcast....

Edit - hoping it was an engineer and not a salesman wanting to shift current units!

This year they seem to have gone to 685 nits only 100 nits increase on last year. Samsung on their Qled are already on 2000 nits. Just wondering how far Oled TVs can go?

Hope we se closer to 1000nits next year :cool: its needed badly

Oled at current level is more than good enough...1000nits will be good of course and probably next year

Apl is more important to me and I prefer they improve that than maximum brightness...oled Abyssimal black more than compensate

All this is temporary until something like cledis or true qled takes us to 2000 nits and beyond. 3-5 years away most probably

All this NITS talk is ridiculous!! IMO.

For years chasing a perfect black canvas has been viewed as the main objective by all video enthusiasts. Then when Samsung lost on OLED Tech battle to LG 3 years ago all of a sudden reaching 1000 nits was the 'must have' spec.

This is why you have 'nano crystal', 'SUHD' and 'QLED' with terrible night bleed from the sides and bottom of the screen and 'Slim backlight drives' that drive screen edges dangerously hot and illuminate BLACK! borders of letterbox movies!

LED seems to have reached its (affordable) limit with the DX902 and ZD9 with no improvements coming in 2017 from any brand.

Give me an OLED with 650nits over an Edge lit LED 2000nit anyday

a 600 nit circle looks brighter on a black background then a grey one so nits talk is pointless unless comparing scene by scene.

All this NITS talk is ridiculous!! IMO.

For years chasing a perfect black canvas has been viewed as the main objective by all video enthusiasts. Then when Samsung lost on OLED Tech battle to LG 3 years ago all of a sudden reaching 1000 nits was the 'must have' spec.

This is why you have 'nano crystal', 'SUHD' and 'QLED' with terrible night bleed from the sides and bottom of the screen and 'Slim backlight drives' that drive screen edges dangerously hot and illuminate BLACK! borders of letterbox movies!

LED seems to have reached its (affordable) limit with the DX902 and ZD9 with no improvements coming in 2017 from any brand.

Give me an OLED with 650nits over an Edge lit LED 2000nit anyday

a 600 nit circle looks brighter on a black background then a grey one so nits talk is pointless unless comparing scene by scene.
Yes I would take a 650 nits Oled over a 2000 nit led/lcd set as well. But I would also take a 1000 nit Oled over a 650 nits Oled if there was one available, and I think most people would too:hiya:

1000 is the unicorn Oled nits goal. It holding me slight back on the urge on a 2017 Oled tv :cool:

Yes I would take a 650 nits Oled over a 2000 nit led/lcd set as well. But I would also take a 1000 nit Oled over a 650 nits Oled if there was one available, and I think most people would too:hiya:
1000 is the unicorn Oled nits goal. It holding me slight back on the urge on a 2017 Oled tv :cool:

Thats the problem there are so many more aspects of picture that could be sorted.

• out of box accuracy (greyscale, colour)
  • shadow detail/ black crushing
  • motion tracking
  • SKIN TONES!!
but people are asking for higher and higher nits which in turn has a negative impact on most of the above.

when a TV that cost £1000+ only gets a 7/10 accuracy out of the box there is a problem in my opinion. Id prefer 9/10+ rather than more nits.

OLEDs will get brighter every year, as soon as they hit 1000 Samsung will say you need 4000 :thumbsup: hahaha

when a TV that cost £1000+ only gets a 7/10 accuracy out of the box there is a problem in my opinion. Id prefer 9/10+ rather than more nits.
To be fair, you can correct out-of-the-box accuracy, but there is no adding additional nits above what the panel is capable of.

I would also be interested in hearing if it is physically possible for OLED to ever be free of image-retention.

I think there is a lot of hype over nits. The Sony VA panel is 1500nits calibrated and I think thats the benchmark this year.

Considering HDR is either mastered in 1000nits or 4000nits it only a small % of movies with content over 1000nit that will benefit.

Based on watching HDR movies in low room light conditions on my OLED, a 4000nit movie scene would be quite un-watchable.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom