• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Can old co-axial cable be used for digital?

raycer

Standard Member
I have a co-axial cable which runs from the analogue cable TV inlet socket in the lounge, up through the loft and down into the kitchen for the old analogue TV. I have had a Freesat dish fitted, a Panasonic TV with Freesat tuner in the lounge also Humax Freesat HDR. The aerial fitter said that he could fit another line from the Freesat dish and connect it to the old co-axial cable so that I can have a digital TV with a Freesat set top box in the kitchen. Would this work?

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
I have a co-axial cable which runs from the analogue cable TV inlet socket in the lounge, up through the loft and down into the kitchen for the old analogue TV. I have had a Freesat dish fitted, a Panasonic TV with Freesat tuner in the lounge also Humax Freesat HDR. The aerial fitter said that he could fit another line from the Freesat dish and connect it to the old co-axial cable so that I can have a digital TV with a Freesat set top box in the kitchen. Would this work?

It might be fine depending on how good a signal you have. Coax cable is 75ohm coax irrespective if it's the older low loss or sat grade. Cable designed for satellite has an additional screen so is more resistant to interference than low loss and loses less signal. It should be easy to test though, connect your existing sat outlet to one end of the cable and move one of your stbs to the other end and see if it works.

Paul Shirley

There are 2 issues for internal cable runs: signal loss and interference.

Loss may not matter, it depends on your signal strength, cable lengths and the quality of the existing cable - with too much loss you have no choice.

Even with good signal strength impulse interference can wreak havoc on digital channels - things like your fridge switching, light switches, passing cars and even fluorescent lamps and cordless phones if you're really unlucky. A long cable run increases the risk. You can test by toggling any light switches or using sockets near the cable run.

Otherwise it should work, worst case you'll need to replace the cable run.

raycer

Standard Member
It should be easy to test though, connect your existing sat outlet to one end of the cable and move one of your stbs to the other end and see if it works.[/QUOTE]

There's the rub; I haven't got a small digital TV and STB for the kitchen yet and don't want to buy them unless I know it is going to work. Although I've got Freesat in the lounge, I've still got analogue cable TV in the kitchen but would like to go digital there too.(switchover:2011)

raycer

Standard Member
Otherwise it should work, worst case you'll need to replace the cable run.[/QUOTE]

The existing cable is not easily accessable and replacing it does not appeal, that why I was hoping that someone would say it would be fine!

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Otherwise it should work, worst case you'll need to replace the cable run.

The existing cable is not easily accessable and replacing it does not appeal, that why I was hoping that someone would say it would be fine!

Ok can you get hold of a length of coax long enough to run a temporary cable back from the kitchen to the freesat TV. If so connect the freesat TV coax to one end of the permanently installed cable. Connect one end of the temp cable in the kitchen to the permanent cable and the other end to the TV. If this works you are in the pound seats :D as you are routing the freesat tv lnb all the way to the kitchen and back again. To make the temporary joins you need enough f plugs and 2 male to male f connectors.

Never fitted a f plug !

How to fit F Connectors to coaxial cable

Last edited by a moderator:

raycer

Standard Member
Ok can you get hold of a length of coax long enough to run a temporary cable back from the kitchen to the freesat TV. If so connect the freesat TV coax to one end of the permanently installed cable. Connect one end of the temp cable in the kitchen to the permanent cable and the other end to the TV. If this works you are in the pound seats :D as you are routing the freesat tv lnb all the way to the kitchen and back again. To make the temporary joins you need enough f plugs and 2 male to male f connectors.

Thanks for the tip! I'll have a go at that.:)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom