Can not get an N64 to display on LCD TV with Game Cube lead...

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

Hope you can help, I want to fire up an N64 someone gave me a few years ago for a bit of GE action, I may also get the kids some games if it works ok.

When he gave me the console it had no lead, I bought a GC lead as was advised it would work.

Thing is my LCD will not show an image or sound. However it does seem to think a RGB signal is being input.

I have a feeling the GC scart lead is for RGB, if I recall the UK N64 was composite only? (US versions had S-video didn't they?).

So any ideas, any pins I can disable on the GC lead? I have forced the TV to accept composite but no luck.

any one - pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease

yeh,you are right, the uk one was the only one that was unable to do RGB,unlike japanese and US models,which could be modded(some could).
in a way, i think the official GC lead,was both RGB and composite..and should work if you force comp through the tv.
check the scart end - pin 19+20 should be wired up(they are the top most 2 pins side by side,next to the "pointed end" of the scart.
have you tried another tv,or another scart socket?
you should get sound,even though you see no picture,but the picture is there,its just really weak..try whacking up the brightness/backlight,and you might just see it.
if you dont get sound..maybe the lead is faulty.
if it still doesnt work, you will either have to get s-video lead,or an original gamecube/n64 composite lead.

Last edited:
have you tried another tv,or another scart socket?

The last tv I tried (Panny LCD) I think it had the same problem. I get no sound/no image - if I recall on a previous CRT I managed to get a B&W image with sound.

like i say,for composite,pin 19+20 should be wired up..and if you get no sound,thats a bad sign..

I will do some experiments to see if I can get it going.

I used my modded US RGB N64 cable with my gamecube no problem but I remember reading that I shouldn't use it. Don't think the levels are quite right. The uk n64 does s-video as its best output option for some reason which was pretty stupid as RGB scart sockets were on most tvs and s-video was more a us type connection at the time. This cable would do it assuming you have a front a/v connection on your tv;

2 phono Plugs and SVHS Plug video Cable - Nintendo 64: Amazon.co.uk: PC & Video Games

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom