1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can not decide

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by alixy007, Sep 19, 2004.

1. alixy007

alixy007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys
    going to buy a plasma screen in one week time but can not decide :lease: Sony,Pioneer,Panny?!!!

main use: watching DVD and connecting PC to it.

screen size: 42in.
    is HDMI input important ? becuase it is availble only on Pionner series?!

cheers

2. NC11

NC11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    As this is down to personal taste you should go and see all the screens you can find before making this decision.

Try to see them one next to the other , using the same source and if possible one of you're favorite DVDs.

First thing is to decide if you're after a TV or a screen with all the pros\cons between the 2 routes. If it's a screen you're after the Panasonic seem better but consider that you'll be investing more in connectivity items. If it's a TV than the Pioneer is my favorite.

At the moment the only one with HDMI is the Pioneer and yes , it does make a difference. WHile looking for my plasma I've seen many demos and have to say the Pioneer being fed from a 868 DVD through HDMI was the best I've seen.

As I mentioned it's down to personal taste so make sure you've done youre research carefully.

HTH.

Cheers.

3. ronin a8

ronin a8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For what it is worth Arcam and Denon also do a HDMI (or in Denons case HDMI compatible) output. But the scaler on board the pioneer 868 is really very good (1920x1080, HURRAH!), I bought one recently and I think its great, but circumstances alters cases so I'm selling it , see classifieds. Shameless plug really!

But i would have to agree with NC11 the pioneer 434 with the 868 is one helluva combo. Try a Pioneer works dealer who should have proper hi def shoved through one as well. Just a thought.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That choice between a TV and a panel determines the kind of installation you can have. If you want to watch a bit of TV and DVD, and maybe plug in your console, and very likely install it all yourself, then the TV types are worth a look. If you want a slick, integrated home theatre/music/gaming/internet type install then you are way way better off with a panel only plasma, then you can add a PC, a scaler, control system etc far more easily and tidily. The downside is that they are more complicated to set up, you might need help, though hundreds if not thousands have done it with nothing but the info from this forum. But the actual make is down to personal taste, they do have a different 'look' to the picture. Panasonic and Pioneer are very much favoured here, they both make their own plasma glass, which Sony do not. The end result is that you buy a product the maker really understands, and gets the most out of. Sony never thought plasma would take off, and missed the boat on development. They've gone LCD instead, with all sorts of variations like rear projection etc. Their plasmas are not highly rated, except by enthusiastic owners who've laid out their dosh.
    BTW HDMI itself is not that important, maybe a HDCP compliant digital input might be, and one which is hi def compatible.

5. NC11

NC11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I dont think panel only install is bound to be slick and tidy every time as mentioned. If done before the room is decorated than maybe , but if done after and is being wall-mounted the chances r you'll end up with 5-6 cables going into it , which can be a problem. TV plasmas have a single box where all the connections go to , and this can look slick and tidy as well. As you said MAW it's down to personal taste , some favor the panel only route and some the TV one.

Also , HDMI IS important when you consider a screen. It gives you the added "future-proof" value and if connected to a HDMI-enable player gives the best PQ possible. I wouldn't dismiss it , and put it on any features list.

Cheers,

NC.

6. alixy007

alixy007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think i go for Pioneer 434 but anyone seen new 435 ???!!?

7. NC11

NC11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    they haven't been released yet , and there are already few treads on those. I wouldnt wait if I were you , as the 434 is one of the best plasma around.

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    NC11, you don't 'get' HDMI, it's just a restricted digital video interface, as long as a dvi port is HDCP compliant, it will take HDMI input. The shape of the plug matters not one jot. The other difference is that you can send digital audio up to your display. That's a big thrill then. Next point, you will have 2 or at the most 3 cables to a properly done panel install, use your imagination to hide them. 2 for a standard job, 3 for a Panasonic PW with picture in picture sorted. 1 power, the others video. In fact, I use a cable which carries component and s-video inside the same sheath. I will grant you the 434 is one of the best TV plasmas around, but compared to a properly set up MXE-1 I don't think so! VGA input is on the front of the media box, and no native resolution via digital, not enough inputs, and shared YUV and HDMI is an irritation for gamers with component kits. Think it through, don't just take the 'easy' option without considering.

9. NC11

NC11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Not sure why this is getting so complicated. As the 1st post reads he wants the plasma for "watching DVD and connecting PC to it". Since this is probably replacing an aging TV , Why not take the "easy" way as you call it?

The HDMI input on the 434 gives the best PQ (assuming an adequate player is used) , and there is a VGA port for the PC. Easy , quick , available , reliable and future-proof setup - winning combination in my book.

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I wouldn't have the vga trailing over my living room. That alone would kill it for me, let alone it's other drawbacks. I fail to notice that HDMI PQ is that brilliant, it may be the best input for that screen, but you can get as good or better results in other ways with other screens. It's best on HDE's cos Pioneer designed it to be so. Sells more 868 players. HDMI itself is sold to the public as being about picture quality. I hate to live up to my avatar so well, but actually HDMI is about an idiot proof connection and Hollywood copyright protection. And we're not idiots here, are we.

11. alixy007

alixy007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can i connect my pc using DVI ? because i have heard that VGA quality is not as good as DVI ?

i have latest ATI card (X800 Series) on my pc.

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    See my info above. You can connect, yes, but the digital input has been nobbled, it won't take XGA native res. Yes really, it's true, and been done to death here. 1 more reason I hate the b***** things.

13. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Sorry to throw another spanner in, but I would strongly suggest the Pioneer 43MXE1.

A better display than the HDE (well better than everything IMHO), and bearing in mind your viewing preferences and that you have a PC, this is a strong contender.

Install a good DVD software player on the PC - eg Theatertek - and hook up to the Pio via DVI and you have a better DVD player than most set tops and the PC will do scaling and deinterlacing for you. Bear in mind the DVI input is not HDCP compliant, so you cannot connect a DVI/HDMI capable set top player, but as I say none of them can better or even match a properly set up HTPC so no problem.

And you can install Windows Media player 10 and download and play all that gorgeous high def video via the PC - :)

I rest my case mlud.

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Philip, that's not a spanner, but a perfectly valid suggestion. As long as the amount of pc use is OK then it's a marvellous way to go. You can still connect a good analogue player, denon 2900 or something for less than an 868, for wife friendliness, and digital TV STB for TV, though if freeview is enough channels you can do this on the PC too. PC connection, to my mind the HDE is an absolute no no, too full of issues, unless you are going to stuff the media box in a cupboard and connect with VGA. So we are back up to 2 video cables, a DVI and a component, unless you use a scaler like the iscan HD, which has dvi connection and dvi pass through for PC. Then it's just 1 and the power.

15. alixy007

alixy007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is it good idea to use Iscan HD for connecting SKY+ to pio 434?

i mean is it going to make any diffrence?

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Look, sorry mate, if you want scalers and PC's you are LOOKING AT THE WRONG SCREEN. I don't normally get quite so assertive, try not to take it the wrong way, slight sarcasm and a healthy dose of cynicism are more my mark. The 434 is a terrific product, but it's just a telly, not 'an integrated part of your connected home' as the buzzwords say about connecting PC's scalers, AV systems etc. Don't be seduced by that piano black surround, it's a sheep in wolf's clothing.

17. alixy007

alixy007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    (MAW) which screen you suggest ?

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    At the risk of seeming repetitive, your choices are between the MXE-1 from Pioneer or the TH42PHD6 from panasonic. The pio is a bit cheaper, but not enough to make it a no brainer. They are actually quite different to look at, you need a demo. Either will be stunning with a PC and/or iscan, and along with an AV amp and a bit of 'cleverness', you can build your system as time and money allow.