• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Can no longer view projoector comfortably - have to move to LCD

E

eugdog2

I have had projectors for about 7 years. My most recent on is a Optoma hd80, But I am now finding uncomfortable on my eyes to watch any thing. It puts too much strain on my eyes and they start to hurt. I think it is the brightness of the screen in relation to the room. I get relief when I turn my lamp on but that degrades the picture.

I am thinking about selling my projector and getting a 50 inch lcd screen. Does any have any views on this

Eugene:(

kbfern

Distinguished Member
If you are having trouble with the brightness either turn it down or attatch a neutral density filter to the lens this will reduce brightness.They come in various grades ask in your local photographic store for whats available.

jacko5

Established Member
I have had projectors for about 7 years. My most recent on is a Optoma hd80, But I am now finding uncomfortable on my eyes to watch any thing. It puts too much strain on my eyes and they start to hurt. I think it is the brightness of the screen in relation to the room. I get relief when I turn my lamp on but that degrades the picture.

I am thinking about selling my projector and getting a 50 inch lcd screen. Does any have any views on this

I am not rainbow sensitive in that I only see them rarely.
I do, however, seem to suffer from some eye strain.
My first PJ was the DLP Optoma HD72i and after a few months I upgraded to the 1080p LCD Mitsubishi HC5000 and I noticed that it was more restful on my eyes to watch. I could watch a 2hour film without any discomfort.
I subsequently upgraded to the JVC HD1 and whilst that was a much brighter projector it did not induce eye strain, although I did ultimately fit an ND2 filter to reduce the brightness.
The excellent Sharp XV-Z 21000 DLP projector then became available at under £2000 and included a Blu-Ray player,so I jumped for it and preferred it to the HD1,especially for its sharpness. The slight eye strain problem returned. It is not enough of a problem for me not to use the PJ I just never watch it for more than the length of a feature film and not day after day.
I think that DLP affects people in different ways, some cannot watch for more than a few minutes because the rainbow effect Makes them feel sick. These are at the extreme end of the problem. At the other end are people who have never seen a rainbow or suffered any discomfort whatsoever. You and I are somewhere in the middle.

With regards to you selling your PJ and getting a 50" LCD tv, firstly I would recommend plasma over LCD, but secondly I think that once you have got used to watching movies on a 92"+ screen you will not be satisfied going back to a tv.
There are plenty of good LCD PJs around at attractive prices and there is also the latest Sony LCOS offering, the VPL-HW10 at under £1500 which should be an interesting alternative to DLP.

Clarner

Established Member

I have an Optoma HD65, which when new was difficult to watch because of rainbows. I knew I occasionally saw rainbows from demo's but due to the high brightness of the HD65, (1600 lumens and 6 colour wheel) it was almost unwatchable. After calibrating from settings posted on the forums the brightness was considerably reduced and matters improved. Next I experimented projecting on to a home made grey screen and tried different sizes, the bigger the screen the lower the brightness. With 80 Hours on the bulb I now hardly see any rainbows but large areas of white are still bright enough to make me wince. I will get a few more hours on the bulb and then if necessary try an ND filter. There are many ways to reduce the brightness of your projector and it is certainly worth experimenting before giving up and going for a flat screen TV, which if you do I would also recommend plasma in favour of LCD.

Mad Monk

Established Member
Buy a pair of sunglasses. That small TV will never work :)

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom