• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Can new employer get your previous salary details?

W0LFIE

does a new employer have visibility of your previous salary info when you get the job & you're on their books?
Question for any payroll/HR/accounts people out there I guess.

BlueOrange25

Distinguished Member
As above. It's unlikely any employer would give out details of your previous salary. Period worked and role title - that's about it for quite a number of places.

loz

Distinguished Member
Wouldn't they get a good idea from your tax paid to date?

I was about to say the same.

When you give them your P99 (whatever the form number is) from your previous employer, then that will show what you have earned YTD.

So no use claiming you were on £50k a year when asked, if your P99 shows you only earned £25k pro rata YTD.

W0LFIE

No

(Fun fact: this question is often asked by people who have inflated their past salaries to improve future ones :D)

Obviously I'd never lie to a prospective employer ;) I like to think of it as getting what you think your worth rather than a prospective employer getting you cheaper than what they would have been willing to pay.

If you refuse to tell a prospective employer what you're on or do the 'what you willing to pay before I tell you what I'm on' game you're not doing yourself any favours at interview stage (unless you intend to sell cars in which case you'd have scored extra points for having shown an aptitude to blag).;)

I'm not actually in this position right now but just wondered cos everytime I've been asked in the past it's left me shifting uneasily in my interview chair thinking will they find out if I lie as soon as I start working for them??!!.
As a result I've always told the truth & predictably been offered that little bit more.

Right now I feel I'm in a position to make a significant move up the ladder and think I'm worth alot more than I'm currently on. However I'm conscious any new employer may try and only offer me enough to entice me to move which is difficult to judge.

I know you can do the old 'I'll start for this amount but I want review after X months and pay scale of this to work to etc etc' but that doesn't work in the industry I'm in. There aren't pay-scales & in fact there's little visibility re what other people get in similar roles. More often than not pay reviews are skipped and excuses given so the salary you join them for is pretty much what you'll remain on unless a major promotion falls in your lap.

I'm not begrudging employers - I'm very lucky to have a job and would be extremely lucky should I ever get offered another. However no piont accepting my lot if potentially I could be earning much more and enjoying the improved standard of living this would offer me & my family.

Anyway, thanks for letting me know I can lie & get away with it:D:smashin:

Wouldn't they get a good idea from your tax paid to date?

^ that's what I've always suspected they do. Is this the case tho'?

Last edited:

KeithO

You could try something along the lines of...

"Im not sure that's relevant...my current job is, I feel, limiting my progress. I'd much rather discuss this exciting new position with you, whether you feel i can fill that role, and what that might be worth to you"

I'd much rather they paid me what they think their job is worth, not what my current job pays plus a few percent

Miss Mandy

It's funny that conversations crop up about salaries quite regularly, but I've found that in my entire working life no interviewer has ever actually asked me the question of what my previous salary was. Is it something that only happens in the city orin certain industries?

Stuey1

You could try something along the lines of...

"Im not sure that's relevant...my current job is, I feel, limiting my progress. I'd much rather discuss this exciting new position with you, whether you feel i can fill that role, and what that might be worth to you"

I'd much rather they paid me what they think their job is worth, not what my current job pays plus a few percent

I think you can just use a p46, in either case you wouldnt give your p45 to your boss, in general payroll would deal with it and to be honest I would doubt they would care to investigate

KeithO

Stuey1 said:
I think you can just use a p46, in either case you wouldnt give your p45 to your boss, in general payroll would deal with it and to be honest I would doubt they would care to investigate

I wasn't really talking about how you could (or could not) avoid a new employer finding out about your previous salary. Rather I was talking about how you could deal with this question if it came up in a job interview, without either lying or telling them something you don't want them to know.

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
I know someone who lied about their salary to get a larger offer in a new job. They were found out via their P45 and subsequently shown the door.

W0LFIE

I don't really want to lie tbh.

You can be completely honest & say I'm on £X but I think I'm worth £XX but if the difference is too significant your potenttial employer will have doubts... which is understandable.
This causes a dilemna if you're being underpaid in your current role.

You could bring this up but again no new employer wants to hear an interviewee moaning because their current employer doesn't pay them enough, it doesn't look good, you come across as negative & again you'll sow the seed of doubt in their mind.

Rorifett

Distinguished Member
Hillskill said:
I know someone who lied about their salary to get a larger offer in a new job. They were found out via their P45 and subsequently shown the door.

How can that be? If they thought you worthy of a wage initially how can they renege and want to fire you?

pragmatic

Distinguished Member
Reframe the question, 'I'm looking for a salary of ...'. I think the whole what you on is a trick to get people for cheap, the real question is how much is this going to cost us or rather what do you want to do this job.

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
Never had any employer ask me how much I earned. They usually make an offer and then its haggle from there on.

To be honest if a prospective employer asked me how much I was earning I would tell them to mind their own business.

You get what you can get. I don't honestly know anyone that would someone an offer on the basis of what they were earning currently. You make them an offer based on what you are prepared to pay for the job itself.

Some kinda twisted logic going on ion this thread. If a prospective employer is dumb enough to ask you what you were earning I would say they deserve to be told an inflated figure.

As for someone being fired for lying about past salary then I would strongly recommend they sue the employers ass off for wrongful dismissal.

loz

Distinguished Member
imightbewrong said:
That isn't what you give them though - there is a 'sanitised' version for this purpose - you get multiple copies of it with different information. Or should do.

But unless the new employer is informed of your salary and tax to date, how can they work out what to tax you for the rest of the year?

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom