• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Answered Can my Roksan Kandy K2 CD player be saved?

nblom

Novice Member
My good old CD player has stopped playing my CDs ;-(
I am new to repairing my Hifi-equipment, but thought I would give it a go in this forum before trying an expensive repair option or giving up.

When I turn the CD player on, it spins and looks for a CD in the drive, and when it doesn't find one says "no disc" as expected: Video1
When I insert a disc it DOES NOT spin and ejects the tray shortly after: Video2

My conclusions so far: The CD motor DOES seem to work since it spins when there is no disc.
However , even if the laser was bad, wouldn't the motor also spin when I insert a disc or is this dependent on the function of the laser?

My question: Is this enough information to diagnose the fault and if so, what would it require to repair my CD player?

Your reply is much appreciated.

Best regards,
Nikolaj

8697156_708dcb04-f426-44bc-988d-14f31c918136.jpg

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
This list of laser/mechanisms is quite useful but I've found it's not always correct. It's suggesting the Kandy K2 used a Sanyo SF-P101N. Unless someone knows of a quick, free and easy fix I would check if that is indeed the correct part and try another one. I did a quick search and it seems there are some about for little money.

CD-Player-DAC-Transport List

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Use a chamois-tipped angled cleaning stick or cotton bud moistened with some Isopropyl Alcohol and gently wipe the laser lens. Wait a few mins until the fluid has evaporated then try a disc.

nblom

Novice Member
Thank you guys. I am experiencing some weird behaviour. While waiting for a supply of Isopropyl Alcohol, the player suddenly started playing my CD's (9 out of 10 times).
However, with the chassis off, I noticed that some CD's seemed to rotate unevenly - is this common?
Anyhow, I did clean the laser lens as suggested, and I still got 9 out 10 success.
However, the next day, back to square one - laser does not pick up discs at all ;-(
Periodical error or what?
Still sounds like a replacement of the laser unit would solve my problems?

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
I don't know how reliable the unbranded replacement units are but if the info in that link I provided is correct, then you're only looking at around 10 quid for a replacement. If it looks as though that is the correct part I would give it a go.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom