Can my HDMI cable cope?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Wiggins, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Wiggins

Wiggins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi everybody, apologies if this question has been asked previously, but a search provided nothing so.....!
    I'm currently on the cusp of upgrading my current projector to a 1080p capable one (leaning towards the JVC HD1) and assorted HD players. I currently have my upscaling Denon 2910 connected via long (and very expensive) HDMI cable, that I bought approx 4 years ago. I'm certain that this cable was out before all the recent upgrades to HDMI cabling (1.3 etc.) so I'm wondering, will my current cable be good enough to cope with 1080p? I know I won't be able to get HD audio streams, but that isn't a worry at the moment as I'd be purely sending pictures from the dvd players as my amp is only capable of standard DD/ DTS 5.1.
    As I mentioned, my current cable was v. expensive and is quite a long one (over 4 metres), so I could really do without having to fork out for another HDMI cable! Any advice appreciated.

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Less than 5m should be fine. It's only over long lengths that you have to start looking at cable specs. You'll only know once you try it though.

3. Wiggins

Wiggins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Cheers, I'm not entirely sure about the exact length to be honest. Like you say, I suppose I'll only know for sure when it's all connected up. Assuming the worst, and that it can't cope- what would happen? Would I still get a picture, or nothing at all? How would I know for sure it was working at optimum quality?

4. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    It will either work properly or any fault will be completely obvious.
    Either no picture at all or extreme problems.

Even a cheap cable should be able to do 1080p over a distance of 5m or less.

5. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    If the cable doens't work you will either get no picture at all or sparklies. Try the various resolutions i.e. 720p, 1080i and 1080p to test the cable. If it works at 1080p, if you have a 1080p display and source, then you can safely say it's fine!

6. Wiggins

Wiggins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Thanks for all the advice. I've just measured the cable and to my shock it is actually 8 metres in length. Ridiculosly, the reason I went for such a long length was I had intended to install my projector from the ceiling. Also, we were selling the house at the time, and I was working on the proviso that wherever we moved to, I was going to setup an exclusive home cinema room like you see in the magazines with the dvd player etc concealed and anticipated needing a long cable for such. Somewhat naively, I thought I was "futureproofing" my purchase. Anyway, the house never sold, we decided to stay, and now it looks like I'm stuck with a long, slightly worthless (once I upgrade to 1080p), bleeding expensive HMDI cable. Oh well. When I get the time though, I'll try the cable with my oppo dvd player into my 1080p lcd screen (the oppo upscales to 1080p). Fingures crossed that it might work and save me yet another cable purchase!

7. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Have you ever seen sparklies as a fault on an HDMI cable (or are you just repeating something you have heard)
    I believe this to be a myth, I have never seen this, have no theory on how this effect could be caused, and am trying to find someone who has actually seen this effect.

This test will be meaningless as the output from HDMI sources varies wildly, and the only valid test you can do is with the actual equipment you intend to use.

8. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    I've never experienced it myself as all my gear works :D but I have read on here of others experiencing sparklies on this forum.

9. Wiggins

Wiggins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Well, I just tried it with the oppo and it seems allright, but if what pjclark1 says is true, I won't know for sure until I plug it into the equipment I'll be using. Just have to keep my fingers crossed.