Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Can my camcorder be fixed or should I just bin it ?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Samantha, May 24, 2003.

1. Samantha

Samantha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Any good advice is appreciated.

My camcorder stopped working after it had been charged up,obviously something had burnt out so we opened it up and sure enough 2 little chips have burnt away.
    Can this be fixed or will it not be cost effective to have it done,I was thinking maybe the board can be replaced its only a small one,but I have had it for about 3 to 4 years so probably wont be able to replace it.
    I do have a pic of the board if you think you can help (its a bit out of focus as are all my pics )

Thanks

Samantha

P.S it isnt expensive, well not now anyway.It has a tape in it of my kids school play which I would like to get out of it if I can ever get it going again.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Getting the tape out should't be too bad as for the repair i dont know chips can be replaced but the cost is high in labour. can you send a photo and I'll see what i can do sam. Also i could have a go at a repair but no promises OK. I wouldn't charge you but i may bugger it beyond all recognition.

3. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI,
    How much was the Cam in the first place? If it was cheap, bin it and get a new one.
    Geting a Cam repaired is V pricey, over £60 an hour for labour alone :thumbsdow
    Also, can they still get the chips that are burnt out, as they may not be made anymore.

4. pmb

pmb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Samantha,

We had a similar experience a while back and spent a long while trying to find someone cheap/trustworthy on the net. Eventually sent it to someone who gave us an estimate - only had to pay postage (makes a change!) - but even their quote was far too expensive. Most places charge substantially even for just looking. Best bet is to think how much money you've saved by not doing all this and put it towards a new one....

We have a new rule in the house when buying electronic gizmos now: 'Don't buy what you can't afford to have repaired'.

pmb

5. Samantha

Samantha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I will probally just get a new one then id just like to be able to get the kids school play out of it :(