Can my amp handle it?

rjcowan

Established Member
Reaction score
I am a bit confused - normally i am easily confused so excuse this poor question but i have a sony str - 940 amp and kef kht2005 sub/sat with tosh 210e dvd player.
Now blade 2 is out in region 2 with dts es 6.1. Can my amp handle this? and what is the difference between this and normal dts ?

DTS es involves an extra rear between the two surrounds basically 6.1 if your amp can decode 6.1 dts es then yes if it only outputs 5.1 then no

P.S. If you only have 5 speakers and a sub then chances are you can't but not sure if your amp can decode 6.1
but if it can all you need to do is add extra rear

Thanks - so i will have to buy region 1 to get dts then

Not sure if your amp decodes dts but if it does and your dvd player can read dts wich i think it does you should get dts but not dts es they are different because dts is 5.1 and dts es is 6.1 it is the amp that sorts this so you may need to upgrade the amp and buy an extra rear speaker. But you may still be able to listen to 5.1 dts if your amp is capable. region coding applies only to the disc and the player. If you have a multi region player you should be able to play discs from all regions if blade 2 is region 2 that you are using it should play but not in dts es if your amp cant do 6.1 hope this helps
By the way blade 2 is dts es for region 2 and region 1

I have this amp it only does 5.1.

Blade 2 still sounds good on it though!!

LIDDERS

dts ES 6.1 matrix and discrete is fully compatible to dts 5.1.

Any Receiver capable of decoding dts 5.1 will be able to reproduce any dts ES Soundtrack.

There are some receivers like some of Denon's 1802 which have problems with the EX Flag of LOTR and Atlantis, but that is the only exception. ;)

So there absolutely is no need of buying an additional rear center to enjoy Blade II, it will work perfectly with your set-up.

Originally posted by Gomez

Any Receiver capable of decoding dts 5.1 will be able to reproduce any dts ES Soundtrack.

Indeed an amp/receiver with DTS 5.1 decoding WILL play back a film with a DTS ES soundtrack although it will only be played back in 5.1.

To hear the ES part of the track as its meant to be heard you´ll need a rear centre speaker and an amp/receiver capable of decoding the signal.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom