1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can My 28LS35 do NTSC 4.43 in colour through S-Video socket....

Discussion in 'TVs' started by BuyingATV, Dec 11, 2002.

1. BuyingATV

BuyingATV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I.e play a region 1 DVD in colour through the S-Video socket.

Thanks

2. smallman28

smallman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take it you mean through the either the scart socket or the front mounted svhs socket,in either case the answer is yes.
    I own one,so trust me,I know;)

3. BuyingATV

BuyingATV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yea the side mounted one, thanks alot

4. fozzybear

fozzybear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys.

It's amazing how much uncertainty there's been about this set and NTSC - I bought one last week and after looking around I found a lot of people asking if this set could handle NTSC or not. I wonder how this started - it certainly worried me for a time, until I managed to find some answers from people who had this tv and could confirm it did play NTSC ok.

Mind you, the second thing I did when I got it (after checking that the picture and sound were ok) was to try playing an NTSC DVD. :D

I'm very pleased with the set, the picture and sound quality are leagues ahead of my brother's old 29" 4:3 Sony, which was about 8-10 years old. I know a lot of people are saying that 28" is too small unless you sit very close toit, but it seems just the right size in my 16"x16" lounge - viewing positions are 1.5 to 2 metres from the screen. In any case, a 32" just wouldn't have fitted on our Apollo stand - the 28" was just the right width. A larger set would have started to dominate the lounge too much for my liking, and as I'd have had to use the supplied stand, would have made placing our Linn Centrik speaker problematic.
    Ultimately the picture size and quality is a big improvement over the old 29", so I'm happy to slum it with the 28". :D

5. smallman28

smallman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The confusion for me was there was no mention of it on the Sony website,I know they dont guarantee NTSC playback so maybe they dont flaunt it as a feature.

6. fozzybear

fozzybear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I finally got confirmation at the time when I looked up the tech specs on the sony site. If you bring up the product page for the tv there is a link on the left for "Technical Spec". Towards the bottom of that page is:

which was pretty reassuring. Although I only felt certain after testing it myself with an NTSC laserdisc! I just need to sort out my leads so that I can hook everything up to it now. I'm running my Thomson VCR and Pioneer DVD into my Tivo to the RGB input, and I'm getting a Thor SVHS to SCART which will connect from my Yamaha AX620 to the other SCART of the TV, and I'll hook up my Pioneer LD player, Divx HTPC and PS2 to the AX620 via S-video. Not ideal probably, but it seems to work ok. I certainly haven't noticed any obvious visual problems since I hooked up the dvd through the Tivo.

I nearly bought the LS60 instead, mainly for the second RGB SCART, but since it's 100hz and I have never seen a 100hz set and I haven't heard exactly glowing praise of them I decided against it and saved £100.

Strangely, I bought my set from Comet for £507 and now they've put it up to £540 after only a week! I'm glad I didn't wait, although considering that I was without a tv I wouldn't have wanted to wait anyway!