1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can moving box/cable affect picture

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Brainboy, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Brainboy

Standard Member

Jan 5, 2005
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    The COMET guy who installed a new TV at end of December disconnected the cable to my stb - Telewest Scientific Atlanta Explorer DVB 4000 - and moved the box and reconnected it. The TV went back with a fault a week later and so I had to disconnect stb and move it again. Now the picture pixelates and goes blocky for a few seconds, every 30 mins or so; seems to happens on all channels and only started a few days after the second time it was moved (the time I moved it myself and I must confess the box did get bumped a bit!). I also noticed, for the first time, that the input cable from wall to stb is really long and has to be coiled up and twisted, does that matter?

I unplugged the stb a couple of days ago and that seemed to clear the problem for 36-48 hours but it looks like it is starting again. Could moving the box, cable twist and/or bump be the cause of this? Or does anyone know if the signal has been poor lately (I live in Edinburgh)? I am reluctant to call them out to check because it's an intermitant thing and an engineer may not see it unless he is prepared to sit and watch for a fair while and also I don't want to take another day off and sit waiting!

Any advice gratefully recieved.