Can Microsoft Launch A New Revised Model With Better GPU?

omiaho

Banned
I'm sure most of you gamers have read the vast amount of multi platform games run at 1080p on PS4 compared to Xbox One usual 720p/900p. This seems to be hurting Microsoft sales plus some devs won't even consider making games for the Xbox One platform.

I was wondering can Microsoft not just announce a new upgraded model with a better GPU (same level as PS4 GPU or slightly better)? or would this cause more problems for existing Xbox One owners?

amardilo

Distinguished Member
I'm sure most of you gamers have read the vast amount of multi platform games run at 1080p on PS4 compared to Xbox One usual 720p/900p. This seems to be hurting Microsoft sales plus some devs won't even consider making games for the Xbox One platform.

I was wondering can Microsoft not just announce a new upgraded model with a better GPU (same level as PS4 GPU or slightly better)? or would this cause more problems for existing Xbox One owners?
That would suck for me as I already own one and the biggest downer for me on the Xbox One was the fact it was underpowered when compared to the PS4 (GPU and slower RAM).

It might also cause problems for developers as they have another set of hardware to cater for.

I doubt it's possible but maybe releasing some sort of expansion pack thing like the N64 had might help (that was for memory but any improvement might help) :D

kav

Distinguished Member
plus some devs won't even consider making games for the Xbox One platform.
Which devs, out of interest? I'd be surprised if the power of the console was a specific reason given for not making a game, given that games are still being made for the previous generation of consoles.

They could, but it would be a first and it would fly in the face of why people buy into a console ecosystem. They would need to find a way of reimbursing the millions of people who bought the weaker hardware as anything developed to run on the newer hardware would not work on their machines. Because of that, and the immense reputational damage it would cause, it's not going to happen.

Munkey Boy

Distinguished Member
I take issue with two points here: 1. I disagree that the GPU has anything to do with the sales differential, just as it didn't matter last gen. It's price. 2. I would be interested, as Kav is, which devs are refusing to make games for the One?

uzer

N64 did it somewhat with that ram expansion thingie bob. But not having in depth knowledge of this kind of stuff I think it might be different.

featherhall

Distinguished Member
Yes can I ask which developers ? and also a complete non starter of an idea. Ridiculous

Boozehound

Banned
Two points.

1. Your claim that some devs are refusing to make games for Xbox One due to the GPU is, imo, absolute nonsense pulled out of thin air. Prove me wrong.

2. The GPU isn't the bottleneck when it comes to resolution, it's the use of DDR3 with ESRAM. This makes it tricky for devs to get to 1080p without compromising on quality elsewhere, but not impossible. Improved dev tools, despite what some claim, WILL help in this area.

The PS4 is undoubtedly more powerful and easier to program for but, thanks to the law of diminishing returns, the gap is nowhere near as noticeable as some believe and certainly not big enough to have developers ignoring a console that has already sold millions, will sell millions more and is going to be around for a long time.

Now, back to point 1 please....

KirkSi

Distinguished Member
Agree, this is complete rubbish. The visuals on the games we're seeing coming out are on a par with the PS4 (Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizons 2). When it comes to sales figures the XBox is behind the PS4 to the tune of a few million. That fact is touted an awful lot. What people forget is that the XB1 is only available in 13 (I think) terrirtories while the PS4 is available in 48. I know that all territories are not equal and that they're both available in their major markets, but those extra territories will make a substantial difference.

It's very interesting to see that the PS4 is selling like a dog in Japan, it's home market but is ahead in America, XBox's home market.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Am I the only one not fussed on the GFX and Pixels, yeah it would be great if it hit 1080p for every game but the games look stunning and a huge improvement on the 360 imo.
Its only 6/7 months into launch and you just have to look at games like Ryse & Tomb Raider and even Titanfall to see they look great. All of them arent 1080p but are bloody good looking games. I can only imagine what games will look like in a few years. You compared COD2 to COD4 or Bioshock to Perfect Dark Zero on the 360 and can see that improvements will be made.

I honestly dont care that the PS4 does 1080p, it does not do it for every game but is touted as if it does.
I have an X1 and the games look great and are fun.

Would be interested to know what Dev's are objecting to make games for the X1 because of this pixel willy waving.

kav

Distinguished Member
@King Tones, I think the main reason it's such a big deal this time around is because it's the first time ever there was a simultaneous release of two consoles, one of which has more powerful hardware and is cheaper to boot. Looking purely at hardware specs and price, the PS4 clearly "wins". Of course there is way more to making a decision on what to buy than this alone, and that's what leads to all the arguing and pointscoring. Everyone's decision to purchase is subjective based on their wants and needs, but then an unfortunately vocal (and increasingly boring) minority seem to feel like they have to validate their decision by putting down the competition (or worse, the users of the competition) instead of just enjoying what they have.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Yeah I skipped last gen launch and was going to buy once the PS3 was released, I think the 360 had been out nearly a year then. Was all set for PS3 as always had PS Consoles or Nintendo's.
As I have posted before my mind was changed as soon as I saw Gears Of War being played and being able to chainsaw a dude in half. I purchased an Elite with loads of games for about £350 and loved it.
Funnily enough loads of my mates tried to persuade me to go PS3 stating it was more powerfull. I honestly did not care it did not have that game where I could cut a dude in half !
Its never bothered me, all about the Games for me Bro's

I can understand this time round I guess as you say with them releasing at the same time.
Its quite funny if it was the cheaper console I could understand the arguments but it being more expensive people aren't idiots, they are buying it because they want it and dont need educating on Multiplats looking better and the PS4 more powerful. Seems a lot of people just write the Xbox One Off just because its the weaker console. Does not matter if it has the games to play that look good and fun. And its not like it nots selling. Got to laugh at some headlines though in the gaming media. Best one recently was ' Timesplitters will put final nail in Xbox One's coffin ' people talk as if its dead tech already.
Just crazy.

Still interested in these Dev's that dont want to code for it or release games for it though, must of missed those news articles. Would of thought they would be headline news and another nail in its coffin.

Ah well back to gaming with my Bro's on these Sub par SD games on my over expensive dead tech, I love it but only cos its a MS Product ;)

kav

Distinguished Member
My view is that this is going to be the last generation of consoles as we have grown up to know them. Neither company has done enough to advance consoles this time around, in comparison to the way the 360/PS3 advanced things last gen. Even the PS4, it may be the most powerful console in the world, but upon release it was already several years behind PCs, and that gap is only going to widen even more significantly than it did last gen as we approach the end of this decade.

The next gen of "consoles" will IMO be predominantly based on a streaming/rental model, where the priority will be on companies having a robust infrastructure to support high-quality content delivery, and customers having a solid internet connection, as opposed to an instantly-obsolete box of wires under their tvs. Upgrades can then take place in the back end and be priced according to those who want 240/480/720/1080/4k quality. Will be interesting to see how that impacts on game development, if things do end up going that way.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
This seems to be hurting Microsoft sales plus some devs won't even consider making games for the Xbox One platform.
Just wondering, along with many other members here what Dev's have said this ?
Any links fella ?
Would be very interested to know what Dev's & Publishers don't want to release on the Xbox One.

To me this would be quite a big news story especially in the Gaming Media but I must of missed it.

KirkSi

Distinguished Member
Just wondering, along with many other members here what Dev's have said this ?
Any links fella ?
Would be very interested to know what Dev's & Publishers don't want to release on the Xbox One.

To me this would be quite a big news story especially in the Gaming Media but I must of missed it.
I think he's talking about those Sony 1st party studios ;) Only reason they won't develop for the XBox One is definitely the underpowered GPU :D

aymank

I see there is a bundle with assasin creed and Titanfall available ..... Not sure why it say pre order

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Nope it's kinect version which made me wonder why it's a pre order. It's on amazon
Ah says its not released until this Friday, could be they are getting in specific bundles.
Thats not a bad deal though. Console + Kinect and 2 games for £389

aymank

Phi just tweeted that devs now have access to more gpu..... I wouldn't be surprised if an updated xbox is announced soon.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Phi just tweeted that devs now have access to more gpu..... I wouldn't be surprised if an updated xbox is announced soon.
I would be very surprised tbh but more than happy for them to give me a free upgrade.
What he tweeted was always going to come as they mentioned it months back.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Warner Bros 2021 movies coming to HBO Max and cinemas simultaneously
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett