Can Main Speakers Be Used For Audio And Home Cinema Use?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by smashedpumpkin, Aug 30, 2013.

1. smashedpumpkin

smashedpumpkin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Hi guys.

I currently have Mordaunt bookshelf speakers as my main and centre speakers on my surround system. I have a media centre pc as my source for movies and music. I have an 8yr old yamaha av amp.

I want to upgrade to floorstanders and replace my av amp. I would also like to get an amp just for audio, so my question is, can the main speakers be run from my av amp for movies and also a power amp for audio ?

My amp is a yamaha RX-V657 from 2005, is there an av amp these days that would do audio some justice ? :smashin:

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,432
    If you get a source selection like this:
    Beresford TC-7220 MKII
    Then you can connect 2 amps to the same speakers.

3. smashedpumpkin

smashedpumpkin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    many thanks for the link, its £110 delivered, looks ideal for amp switching. Pity its not remote control :laugh:

4. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,161
    If you are buying both amps New, and depending on your working budget, it usually doesn't pay to buy both a stereo amp and an AV amp. I think you are better off just buying a better AV amp and buying an AV amp that is noted for good music preformance.

However, if you already have a Stereo amp laying around, then this two amp system can be workable.

Or alternately, if you have an existing AV Amp, it might work well to add a Stereo amp. But you must have one or the other already. I just don't think it make economic sense to buy both Stereo and AV new.

This does depend on your budget though.

As to the direct answer to your question, PSM1 has already given it to you; the Beresford switch box.

I do believe there are boxes that will switch automatically. That is, they sense which channel has music playing, and then Auto-Switch to that channel. However, they are harder to come by, and noticeably more expensive, and I'm not sure how reliable they are.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  5. smashedpumpkin

smashedpumpkin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Hi thanks for the reply, my amp is an av amp Yamaha RX-V657 and its 8 yr old, its ok for audio but not great. I was intending to buy second hand av amp and audio amp. I have put in an offer on a Onkyo TX-SR876 av amp in the classifieds of £165 plus p+p.

I dont mind paying more for an av amp that will do better audio but i dont have any idea what to go for second hand. I just assumed i would get better results with a seperate amp for audio. So buying both second hand was affordable.

at the moment im looking to upgrade my fronts and centres with new speakers. avianno 8 or Wharfedale Diamond 10.6 floorstanders for arounf £300. Im also looking to buy a second hand av amp which is significantly better than my current yamaha av amp.

6. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,432
    The 876 should give you reasonable musical performance and really deserves better speakers than the Wharfedales to get the best it.
    As a general guide you need to spend 4 to 5 times the price of a stereo amp on an AVR to get similar sound quality hence if musical ability is a big priority then a separate stereo amp makes a lot of sense and much cheaper than trying to buy an AVR with similar performance. That said many will be perfectly happy with the performance of a slightly better AVR hence sometimes just putting the price of the stereo amp on the AVR budget can be sufficient for some (and much easier to use etc.).

7. smashedpumpkin

smashedpumpkin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    If i get the 876 it should sound much better all round then my current amp, so ill likely be happy with the better audio sound. I have decided for once i want my music to sound better than my movies. So i was going to get a second hand audio amp too. I have never had a seperate audio amp so i wanted to try one out, stick with it if i was impressed and if i found it not much better than the av amp then i could sell it on and not lose any money due to it being second hand.

what avr would you consider suited to the likes of the diamond 10.6 speakers?

8. smashedpumpkin

smashedpumpkin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    i JUST WON ON EBAY A HIGH END AVR a Sony STR-DA5400ES for £375, its a £1400 amp and according to what hi fi it is the best in its class of amps at this level, its a few years old.

so maybe ill be blown away by its audio ability, we will see. I am kinda hoping by getting a more expensive reciever i wont need to buy a seperate stereo amp. We will see.