Can LNB Be Upgraded

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Garrett, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,355
    On Monday and Tuesday we had a lot of low heavy cloud which was continually blocking the signal out, the signal strength was about 75 but the quality was fluctuating between 40 and 50% when it was working which I take got lower when thing locked up.
    My mate up the road had no problems but has newer equipment (got upgraded by Sky). I do not have a sub with them now so I wondered if the LNB’s are better than whet they were when they first came out.

Today there is not as much cloud about and the quality is between 50 and 66% and no trouble with the picture.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Well noise levels have been dropping in LNB's over the years but I am not sure if a dB here and there will make that significant a difference all other factors being well.
    Signal quality is just as likely to be affected by the cable between the LNB and digibox which carries the signal and the quality of the connections involved. This is assuming of course the strength reading is accurate and the dish is well aligned and the LNB skew/positioning is ok.

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The old perforated dishes were quite prone to rust - they look OK from the ground, but when you get up close, they are bad. I see that there is a guy on Ebay selling complete dishes with LNB for £7.99 right now, so the upgrade could be cheap. Fitting an LNB to an existing dish could be tricky, because the mounts have changed over the years, and you might end up needing an adaptor which might cost a lot more than the dish is worth.

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,355
    I had the radio on the box this morning and it was fine the quality signal was up to 66% but this lunch I put it on again for “I’m Sorry Ill Read That Again” and it went of and said no signal being received they I switched of and on again and it was perfect.
    I have rung some guy to look at it.
    The dish is OK I painted it with Waxoil when I got it and the condition of it is practically new.

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,355
    I got a firm round to look at the problem and they put a meter on the Sky box end of the aerial wire and it started making some noises (impress the peasants? :D ) anyway he said the LNB was not picking some signals up and replaced it, the picture quality seem to be higher up in the bar now.