Can LG C1's eARC passthrough Dolby MAT 2.0?

NanoGuidingStar

I have a LG C1 and a Samsung Q700A Soundbar, both of them are new release in 2021.

The question is after I set all up, my Xbox just can't passthrough Dolby Atmos audio to my new Soundbar.

My setting>>> TV set to Passtrough with eARC enable, Xbox set to bitstream

When I set my Xbox to bitstream, I can't choose Dolby Atmos Home Theater. It says my Soundbar doesn't support Dolby Atmos, which is not true. it seems Xbox and Apple TV use Dolby MAT to transmit Dolby Atmos data.

How can I solve this problem? I don't know this is an issue on LG side or Samsung side

Edit: When I connect Xbox Series X directly to Soundbar HDMI IN, Xbox Dolby Atmos Home Theater audio setting works fine. But I will lose all HDMI2.1 benefit

next010

Distinguished Member
Yes the C1 can pass Dolby MAT but eARC has proven to be not much different from ARC, in that its not a strict standard so hardware manufactures implement it slightly differently so depending upon the combination, they don't always work optimally together.

TV should be
eARC on
HDMI audio input = bitstream
Digital sound output = pass-through

Beyond that your at the mercy of whatever compatibility testing the hardware makers have done.

Finally not all audio formats you expect will be supported over eARC and the Q700A has a little bit of doubt in that area. According to comments here PCM 5.1 is supported via eARC but an end user noticed that DolbyMAT did not work with his ATV 4K.

At a guess some kind of EDID issue with the Q700A if both ATV4k with Sony TV and LG C1 with Xbox cannot pass Dolby MAT.

Would require a firmware update from Samsung to properly correct it.

There are no HDMI 2.1 video/audio splitters on the market as far as I know but there is the Sharc which is an eARC bridge for older sound systems.

It takes eARC audio and sends it via HDMI input on soundbar so that could be a viable workaround, your basically removing Samsung from eARC duties and replacing it with Sharc.

jdevil

Distinguished Member
Edit: When I connect Xbox Series X directly to Soundbar HDMI IN, Xbox Dolby Atmos Home Theater audio setting works fine. But I will lose all HDMI2.1 benefit
It really comes down to this, how important are those HDMI 2.1 benefits to you?

polys643

It really comes down to this, how important are those HDMI 2.1 benefits to you?
From what I read, the Q950A supports VRR and ALM. So perhaps the Q700A also supports these.

Therefore, you are only losing [email protected] As it is now, you do lose some graphics when enabling 120Hz on the games that support it. So the "sweet spot" is [email protected] Smooth enough and better graphics.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom