Can LCD's internal amp be used with 4 Ohm speakers?

m1964

Standard Member
:lease: My AV receiver is being fixed, and at first I connected two speakers that came with my Samsung LCD to get by (it'll take 2-3 weeks to get the AVR back).

My 40" Samsung has 5.1 decoder, so today, I tried connecting my all 5 Canton speakers and the sub to the TV's speakers/sub outputs, and the sound is better then from those small flat speakers that came with TV.

Then, when putting Samsung speakers away, I noted that the original Samsung speakers are 10 Watts RMS/ 8 ohms.
The Cantons are rated 4-8 Ohms, so now I am afraid that using them may burn transistors in the TV's internal amplifier.

I am not trying to play any loud music, and the Canton speakers sound louder then original Samsung speakers - I think because Cantons are more efficient/have better sensitivity.

Can anyone tell me:
1. if it's OK to use 4-8 Ohms rated speakers instead of 8 Ohms rated
2. can I damage my Cantons using weak TV's internal amplifier?

Thanks a lot.

davidac

A lower impedance speaker will take more power to drive at the same amplifier output voltage. This is why it sounds louder an not because it is more efficient. You could damage your TV's amplifier if its not over load protected. You probably won't damage your speakers as long as the volume is not too high. In any case I think it is too high a risk given the cost of repairing any damage.

Top Bottom