1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can LCDs be transported flat? The definitive answer?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Colgate7110, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Hi guys,

We're looking at buying a large flat screen for corporate trade shows and the like given that to hire for 3 days costs £750 and you can buy a 32" Samsung HD LCD (first example that came to mind other than the Panny 500 series) for £800... Obviously when the guys started talking about putting a plasma flat out in the boot, I told them in no uncertain terms that doing so was a very bad thing.

What about LCDs though? I've scouted the forums and a few people have said the packaging says to keep it upright but I think most electrical items say that really so I'm looking for the definitive answer - can an LCD panel (at least 32") be transported lying flat?

If we can get a final yay or nay on this, perhaps it would be a good addition to the FAQ?

Cheers,

Colin

2. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    If it's going to be for more than one trade show, then wouldn't be wise to get a custom flite case made for whichever one you buy? A couple hundred quid, and it'll be as safe as houses.

3. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I think it's OK for LCD. Apparently the reason it's not recommended (but by no means fatal) for plasmas is because of the heavy glass.

4. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    It's absolutely fine provided obviously nothing makes contact with the screen (apart from the flat boot floor)
    It's how I transported mine several miles despite having the packaging, and we chuck little 15s around at work like they are bricks ;)
    And assuming of course that your trade shows are less than a year apart, should have some warranty, can soon make up a story about how it got damaged :)

5. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Thanks guys! I'll let the team know in the morning. The idea of the custom flight case sounds good too, even if it just adds that professional touch although after a quick Google, the flight cases look even bigger and heavier than the boxes the screens are sold in which will probably be a deal-breaker when I mention it.

With a bit of luck, I'll be able to schedule a few "trade shows" in my lounge, kind of around the same time the Xbox 360 launches ;)

Thanks again,

Colin

6. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Yes, but the boxes the displays come in are meant for limited reusal. With the dispaly in a flite case, you'll not have to worry about anything touching it and it'll always look its best. Small set of wheels on it would make it easy to trundle about, and you thow all your cables in along with it, if you get a spearate compartment fitted.