Can lcd or dlp come close to CRT?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Harold Corbet, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Harold Corbet

Harold Corbet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got an old Sony 1252 CRT. I just got a divorce and am moving into a flat and don't have the room for this great projector anymore. My question is can lcd or dlp come close to its performance. I dont have time to go for demos and stuff as I work six days a week. I am therefore relying on advice from experts in this field. My budget is 3k.

thanks
    Harold

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,231
    Honestly ...not for 3K no.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr C's right Harry boy. I wouldn't bother with all this nonsense if I were you.stick to good 'ol CRT. Cant beat it.

4. Harold Corbet

Harold Corbet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. So how much do I have to spend for it to get close?

5. maj74

maj74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Now just hold on......... calm down a bit...

While I'll agree that you can't equal a CRT on £3k I suspect there are possibilities to get pretty close...

I suspect the biggest difficulty will be equalling the contrast ratio of a CRT but it isn't necessarily a no-hope situation.

Looking over the last few months at various discussion boards including the AVS Forums in America has highlighted some particularly impressive combinations. But the one that stood out was the NEC LT150z.

It's important that you don't see rainbows on a DLP machine, but given that this machine is well worth looking at. It is known to have grotty scaler/deinterlacer but paired up with something like an Iscan Pro and it really flies.

Now the pairing of NEC and Iscan comes to not much more than your £3k. I don't know how close to CRT you need before you're happy. I would have thought this is worth a look.

6. simon1967

simon1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'm replacing my Seleco 400 CRT so I have been getting demos and it is a minefield out there. Not familiar with the Sony but if it is similar to the Seleco, then I found it is fanatastic with films but not so good on footie (my wife is also a Spurs fan unfortunately). I see the problem to be the sharpness of CRTs and mine is properly converged with the test patterns.

You need to see if you are susceptible to rainbows on the DLPs but bear in mind that if you aren't then someone who will watch your set-up will be. Any review I read will have to state that rainbows are non-existent before I will entertain the idea of buying them. The ones I have heard are pretty good in that area are the Sim2 300 (£9000) , the Sharp 9000 (£10,000) and the Marantz AV12 (£7000). I have demoed the Sim2 - both the 200 and the 300 models and definitely noticed the rainbows on the 200. It is not exagerrated and not really acceptable. I think the faster the colour wheel spins and the new 6 segment wheels tend to get rid of this problem.

The other thing I have heard is eye fatigue but don't really know what this is about other that some cannot watch DLPs for any great length of time - one movie and then it's off.

With all this negativity towards DLPs, I am still leaning towards the Sharp or Marantz - the Sim2 is too loud for me. I know very little about LCDs but I know if I was spending £3000 or more on something, I would be sure to check it out beforehand. These problems are not the media blowing them out of all proportion but something you have to see with your own eyes. Being a London lad, loads of shops are open on Sundays so get a demo.

7. simon1967

simon1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    One thing I forgot to mention is how sharp and clear the images on DLPs are compared to DLP but seeming as you are a Spurs fan then I guess you are used to seeing things through rose tinted glasses :p