• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Answered Can Kodi v17 display 3D MKVs correctly?

adam-burnley

Distinguished Member
I've ripped a small number of 3D Blurays using MakeMKV, but have not been able to get them to display correct if played through Kodi v17 (Krypton) on an Amazon Fire TV 4K box.

Kodi recognises that the film is 3D as it presents the option to play "same as movie" or use "side by side" etc., but neither option then triggers the Samsung TV to enable 3D mode. Manually enabling 3D mode on the TV doesn't work as its not receiving the correct image for 3D, so it's all over the place.

I have found various solutions such as renaming the filename to include 3d.sbs etc., but they are from a couple of years ago, and Kodi does seem to recognise that it is 3D anyway.

I know everything else is fine as playing the same file through a Zappiti Mini 4K HDR using the native player works fine, however, when played through Kodi on the Zappiti (as a test) I get the same issue.

Any suggestions?

Vila

Sadly not - it can only play SBS or similar forms of 3D, i believe there may be a different fork of Kodi that can play full 3D

adam-burnley

Distinguished Member
Sadly not - it can only play SBS or similar forms of 3D, i believe there may be a different fork of Kodi that can play full 3D
I'll confess to not knowing the differences in formats, despite having a 3D TV since 2010! So what formats are 3d BluRays generaly in then, is it FHD3D? I know about Side by Side (used on Sky) and Top Bottom, which I think the PS3 used.

Do you know the name of the Kodi fork that can play full 3D?

Alternatively, do you know a player that can be installed on the Amazon Fire TV 4K?

Thanks

Vila

3D blu rays use MVC with a higher frame rate to give full 1080p 3d. All other forms of 3D use a normal 2D image that is recombined as 3D with a lower resolution.

Im not aware of a KODI MVC build for the fire TV, but i don't think it is capable a outputting an MVC signal.

I have a HTPC myself but have been put off from using the MVC builds as they've been designed specifically for a few 'NUC' computers and seem more 'experimental' than vanilla kodi.

Any reason you don't like the Zappitti?

adam-burnley

Distinguished Member
3D blu rays use MVC with a higher frame rate to give full 1080p 3d. All other forms of 3D use a normal 2D image that is recombined as 3D with a lower resolution.

Im not aware of a KODI MVC build for the fire TV, but i don't think it is capable a outputting an MVC signal.

I have a HTPC myself but have been put off from using the MVC builds as they've been designed specifically for a few 'NUC' computers and seem more 'experimental' than vanilla kodi.

Any reason you don't like the Zappitti?
Thanks, just been reading about the different forms of 3D, didn't realise that before.

I have an old HTPC that is fine for everything but full lossless 1080p HD-Audio rips. The Amazon Fire is fine for those rips, but not the 3D ones then.

The Zappiti is fine, but a lot more expensive. I picked it up for the cinema room and 3D projector, but had hoped to avoid the extra cost for the kids playroom where the 3D TV is installed, so the Amazon device would have been a reasonably alternative. Oh well!

GaryBritton

Try a Raspberry Pi with LibreElec 8.0.2, it will decode MVC 3D in hardware. It is rock solid with 3D Mkv and ISO files.

The Windows 10 MVC build is built by one developer on a specific version of FFMPEG and so development is slower but when I tested it it worked perfectly with Mkv and ISO.

Vila

Try a Raspberry Pi with LibreElec 8.0.2, it will decode MVC 3D in hardware. It is rock solid with 3D Mkv and ISO files.

The Windows 10 MVC build is built by one developer on a specific version of FFMPEG and so development is slower but when I tested it it worked perfectly with Mkv and ISO.

Not sure a Pi will do HD Audio

MrS4T4n

Novice Member
Hi all!
i'm new here :)
I was looking for a solution to play my 3D Iso files... I get a Oled 65E6V and i use a nvidia shield with kodi connected to a nas. Yesterday i try to play a 3D Iso file for the first time and i only get 2D :/

i had spent a few hours lookig for a solution and it seems that the nvidia shield dosn't support MVC playback... So the there are 2 solutions:
-Nuc with a special kodi fork
-RP3 with kodi

Thats right?

adam-burnley

Distinguished Member
Hi all!
i'm new here :)
I was looking for a solution to play my 3D Iso files... I get a Oled 65E6V and i use a nvidia shield with kodi connected to a nas. Yesterday i try to play a 3D Iso file for the first time and i only get 2D :/

i had spent a few hours lookig for a solution and it seems that the nvidia shield dosn't support MVC playback... So the there are 2 solutions:
-Nuc with a special kodi fork
-RP3 with kodi

Thats right?
I recently compared three Zidoo media players (see my thread), and they all play 3D fine.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom