Can KefQ1 operate in this environment?

DavidCook

Standard Member
Reaction score
After researching and reading lots of info I am thinking of getting two sets of KefQ1, fronts and rears. My problem is the viewing position. The setee and chair have to be pushed tight to the rear wall with the TV opposite. I am currently using the speakers which came with the TV on stands sandwiched between the setee and the wall.They are consequently slightly above head height when seated and only a few inches away from the viewers head, If you can visualise that! Myquestion is will the Kef operate well in that situation or are there other speakers in a similar price bracket that would be better? Secondly would I be better taking them off the stands and wall mounting them higher? Thanks

Either the Q8S or the Q2DS would be better.

They're a fair tonal match for the Q1 (lovely speaker BTW) and are specifically designed for use as rears. If you wall mount the Q2DS about a foot in front of your seating position and two foot above your head on the side walls you should get a wonderful diffuse rear soundstage.

Q8S would go on the rear wall, wherever you want them, though above the head is always recommended for rears.

One caveat regarding Q2DS is that they aren't "right" for multi-channel music if that's something your interested in. The 8s would be fine though - shame kef don't make them to match the rest of the speakers.

Thanks for that info I will have a look at the ones you mention. With regard to mounting on the side walls. The room is a long rectangular shape. I have a right hand side wall but the left is 20+ft awayand we view at one end of the rectangle because of windows, doors etc so rear mounting seems the only choice.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom