1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can it be done?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jase, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    I posted this in the Video Processing forum, but had no joy. So I´m posting it here as well.

I´d like to know if there is a video processor/device that can do the following

For example I´m looking at the new Panasonic TH-AE100 LCD projector, it cannot accept/display Pal progressive. My dvd player is only interlaced NTSC or PAL (it has component video outs).

Ive been looking at the Iscan Pro and Quadscan Elite processors and wonder if they can convert the PAL signal into NTSC so that the projector can display an NTSC progressive signal. Or do they just convert NTSC interlaced to progressive and the same for PAL.

Is this possible? If its not possible with the above, what else could do the job?

For example the Toshiba 900 dvd downconverts PAL to NTSC and then displays it as Progressive, apparently!

Many thanks in advance.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction!!

cheers

2. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The ISCAN does not transcode between world TV standards.

There are plenty of boxes that do, (I think maybe keene or Lektropaks do them). But anything this side of twenty thousand pound will do a poor job, and it won't be worth the money.

However you culd use an HTPC which effectively transcodes PAL or NTSC to whatever resolution/freq you want. I run PAL and NTSC at 1280x720 60hz and its fine.

The DVD's that downconvert are really poor in terms of picture quality.

Can you get PAL firmware upgrade for your projector.

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    It looks like I´ll have to go the HTPC route.

I havent bought the projector yet, but the Panasonic caught my eye because it has a true 16:9 panel, small, fits my budget etc

I dont know whether they´ll have the PAL firmware upgrade as the Panasonic has only just come out.

I bought a new PC at Christmas, P4 1.6Ghz, 256mb, Geforce 2, with PowerDVD so shouldnt have too much of a problem getting that connected up, hopefully!!

Many thanks