1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can it be done?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Tracey, Dec 7, 2001.

1. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got an Arcam AVR100 and the front channels are bi-amped with an Alpha 10p3. Because of the way I have this connected it leaves me (as far as I can remember) with 2 spare front speaker connections, left and right at the back of the AVR100. I was thinking of using these to connect another set ot speakers which will be in my back garden. Have I just come up with a cunning plan or will this not work at all? I was hoping that I could do it so that the speakers indoors will play as well as the ones in the garden, from the same system?

Please anyone let me know if this will work because I have a feeling it won't but can't work out why and it's bugging me :(

2. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    From what I remember, the 10P3 has two sets of speaker outputs - A & B. There is a push in switch at the front of the amp for each circuit. Presumably you have your front three speakers connected to the "A" circuit. This means that you could plug in another set of speakers to the "B" connection and switch either set on or off (including both on).

Hope this makes sense!

Cheers,
    Liam

3. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're right! Wow thanks very much, why didn't I think of that? That would be perfect, because then I can just have the sound coming out of the speakers indoors or outdoors, or both.

Thanks very much, my headache has all of a sudden disappeared.

Tracey :)

4. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    You're welcome.

I used to have a similarish setup to you a few years back - I had an Arcam AV50 amp and bi-amped it with an 8P, making a huge difference. The jump to a 10P wasn't so great, but it was still noticable. I now have a 10/DAVE & 10P3 which I'm very happy with. The only things that would tempt me to change would be DPLII, going to a single box, or getting something with a more modern styling (I love the look of the new Diva range). I could almost be tempted by a Denon 3802 if it was in silver and sounded similar enough to my current kit. But that's just the upgraditis talking :devil: .

Cheers,
    Liam

5. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what you mean, I'm quite tempted by PLII and the new AVR200 has it, and as luck would have it I have a friend that is interested in buying my AVR100 but not for a while, so I may upgrade to an AVR200 maybe. I love the sound of my system though and I've had enough hi-fi to realise that once you get a sound you like, you should stick with it. I dare say Tag systems sound excellent but I'm not even going there, can't afford it.

thanks again for the advice, although I've just realised I'd only be able to have both sets of speakers on or just the indoor ones, due to the fact that I need the AVR100 on for the pre-amp bit and it would still be playing the HF from my front speakers because I don't have an A + B switch on the AVR100.

It's still perfect though, now all I need is some nice weather, don't think I'll get the benefit of outdoor speakers for a while yet!

Tracey